In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(propose)(for a post) proponer(for a post) postular Latin Americato nominate sb for sth — postular a algn para algo Latin America
- she was nominated for an Oscar — fue nominada para un Oscar
- He was nominated by the first President Bush, and has a solid record as a conservative jurist.
- Mother Trisha Harwood has been nominated for a top award for helping her local school grow and branch out in the community.
- Warren Miles was nominated vice president and John Byrnes was nominated president.
- He was nominated for the award by a client who bought a car from him.
- Her film has apparently won two awards and was just nominated for a third in Sydney, Australia.
- Bardem was nominated for an Academy Award in the best actor in a leading role category for that same performance.
- Cathryn stood out as someone with a real future in coaching, and we had no hesitation nominating her for the position.
- He is the first member of the Assemblies of God to be a senator or governor, and only the second to be nominated for a cabinet position.
- They are not elected but are appointed or nominated and, therefore, are not accountable.
- Even if the president nominates St. Francis of Assisi, the Democrats will find a way to paint him as ‘insensitive’ to ‘minority’ concerns.
- Since the release of his first album in 1989, he's been nominated for numerous awards.
- Two neighbours are to be nominated for an award by firefighters after rescuing a woman from her burning house.
- Marysville has been nominated for a civic award for its efforts to assure citizens have clean water.
- People can be nominated for the award up until midnight on October 31.
- Near the end of his term, the first President Bush nominated Boyle to the Fourth Circuit.
- Conservatives have urged the president to not nominate him.
- Lin was nominated to the position last month after former president Benny Hu was ousted by the bank's board.
- It is essential to Republicans that the President nominate someone who is very solidly conservative.
- Three candidates have been nominated for each vacant seat.
- He had been nominated for awards on previous occasions but this was his first time capturing a title.
- Two other members, Keelin McDonald and Tommy Cox were also nominated for award.
- The president nominates Nebraska Governor Mike Johanns as his new secretary of agriculture.
- An eight-year-old boy with a heart defect and sight problems is starring in a new film which has been nominated for a BAFTA award.
- Ukraine's president nominated her a day after his inauguration.
- Under the terms of the trust's loan agreement with the club, Bees United are now in a position to nominate a further director for appointment to the board of Brentford FC Limited.
- Also, a filibuster is a strategy they cannot repeat every time the President nominates a conservative to the bench.
- That's why the President announced his intent to nominate Commissioner Kerik.
- According to the constitution, the coalition will have seven days to nominate its Cabinet members.
- Teachers from two York schools have been nominated for prestigious teaching awards which will be announced at a ceremony next week.
- Under the rules of the awards, category sponsors could not also be nominated for individual honours.
- He said even after so many years of being in the film industry he had never been nominated for that award.
- The York Beer Shop has been nominated for an award in the Evening Press Eat Local competition.
- He was even nominated for the award of York's Millennium Person of the Past, later won by pacifist Joseph Rowntree.
- I was delighted to see the president nominate someone who had the outstanding professional qualifications.
- He has been nominated by a conservative president who wishes to put conservative judges on the bench.
- A spokesman for Lancashire Police said it was likely the pair would be nominated for bravery awards.
- Bernanke was chairman of that council until the president nominated him to succeed Greenspan, at which point he resigned.
- The latter was to be nominated by the President instead of being elected by the State Assembly.
- A four year old boy has been nominated for an award for his quick thinking which helped rescue his mum after she collapsed with an epileptic seizure.
- A courageous young woman from the Selby area has been nominated for a prestigious award for her work as a young carer.
2(appoint, choose)nombrardesignarPolitics (candidate) proclamar USPolitics (candidate) nominar US
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.