In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1no fumador masculineno fumadora femininepersona que no fuma femininefor nonsmokers — para no fumadores
- I'd prefer a nonsmoker — preferiría un no fumador / alguien que no fumase
- They are jeopardising their own health and that of non-smokers who have to walk through their smoke.
- Despite this, more than 3,000,000 non-smokers are exposed to second-hand smoke at work.
- Many, if not most, non-smokers find tobacco smoke an unpleasant irritant.
- Earlier research into the effects of second-hand smoke had focused on non-smokers living with smokers.
- In Yorkshire the survey found a third of smokers and four out of five non-smokers said they found smoking a big turn-off.
- He actively disliked non-smokers and merrily mocked teetotallers.
- They have instead pushed for better facilities for non-smokers and a ban on smoking in restaurants only.
- Thus it is the negative impact of smoke that non-smokers object to.
- The risks have been proven so why must non-smokers still be subjected to smoke they don't want to inhale?
- Despite being a non-smoker with smoke sensitive eyes, I am strongly opposed to the new restrictions on smokers.
- Is this ban about persuading smokers to quit or protecting non-smokers from second-hand smoke?
- I am all for people's rights and a smoker has as much of a right to smoke as a non-smoker has the right to clean air.
- It confirms that action to end smoking in the workplace would cut the risk to non-smokers and save the lives of smokers as well.
- However, non-smokers should understand that people smoke and many smoke out of addiction.
- This is fine for smokers but non-smokers having chosen not to smoke shouldn't have to put up with the smell on them really.
- All enclosed spaces where smokers and non-smokers mix should be smoke free on public health grounds.
- If the owners prefer to allow smoking, non-smokers can accept that or stay away, they say.
- Why should non-smokers have to deal with the smoke forced into their lungs?
- The implication here is that pension providers fear fraud by non-smokers pretending to smoke in order to get a higher pension.
- Two-thirds of grown-ups in Bolton do not smoke, therefore non-smokers are in the majority.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.