In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(region/country) del norte(region/country) septentrional(country/region) norteño(region/country) nortino Peru Chilenorthern England — el norte de Inglaterra
- (in US) the northern states — los estados del norte
- northern Europe — el Norte de Europa
- the Northern Hemisphere — el hemisferio norte / septentrional
- the northern lights — la aurora boreal
- the Northern Territory — el Territorio del Norte
- Wismar, in northern Germany, is situated on an inlet of the Baltic Sea.
- Spots of snow still lurk on northern slopes while glacial lilies unfurl in patches of sunlight.
- It was situated towards the northern end of the forest, a mile or so from the outskirts of the town of Lariat.
- Situated on the northern shore of Lake Ontario, Toronto is in easy reach of the wonders of nature.
- He wrote to the landowner implying that he had also encountered an Early Medieval ditch on one of the lower breaks of slope on the northern face.
- Moving towards the northern ward where Devin had curled up earlier she tried to shake him awake but it was no use.
- The northern entrance is situated right next to the recently opened Abbeyleix Manor Hotel.
- It is a lovely circuit of Lingmoor Fell, so called because of the abundance of heather on its northern slopes.
- This is where the green belt begins, the northern slopes rolling down to form the edge of Epping Forest.
- More importantly, the Skemp site is situated near the northern edge of this sample area.
- The site chosen is located against the northern slope of the Old Fort in Johannesburg.
- The current situation is that the northern half of Gladstone Road, Russell Road and Palmerston Road are all shared use bays.
- This tour is centred around the small village of Apriltsi, in the northern slopes of the Balkan mountains.
- The main public space is placed towards the northern edge of the site.
- My own experience with men on the street in northern India is direct.
- Millions of gallons of water poured through and rushed into the northern suburbs and on towards the city centre.
- He advocated the idea of a Greater Macedonia, extending towards northern Greece.
- The road was widened and a roundabout installed on the northern end to direct traffic down to Finisklin.
- In the afternoon, we went on a tour of the United Nations offices, located towards the northern end of the city.
- In reality, it is a long, slightly bent collection of broken reefs surrounding a sheltered lagoon towards the northern end.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.