In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(wind) del noroeste
- The MoD has been using Cape Wrath as a live bombing range for nearly 70 years with the tacit agreement of the residents of nearby Durness, mainland Britain's most north-westerly village.
- They have come here in unprecedented numbers, which we believe has happened while they were travelling through strong north-westerly winds between Orkney and Iceland.
- The weather was beautiful and sunny with a slight north-westerly breeze.
- Today the forecast was for a cold north-westerly wind with the odd flurry of snow.
- Yesterday it was reported that Dennis was 400 km west of St Vincent moving in a west north-westerly direction, raging toward Jamaica and Cuba.
- Exposed on the Atlantic coast like this, a north-westerly storm could bring some enormous waves straight in on the wreck site.
- As the north-westerly wind whistled shrilly through the willows near my house, I concluded that this year would be special for kite-lovers.
- Throughout the race, a hot north-westerly wind had been throwing waves of warmth at the competitors.
- A particularly spectacular blackbird arrival was recorded during November 5, 1961 following a north-westerly gale the previous day.
- Forecaster Gerard Bellam says north-westerly winds are on the way, which will give the country, especially eastern regions, a chance to warm up.
- I had sailed for about a mile in a north-westerly direction and the sea began to get very choppy.
- Late last year, on the streets and in the conference rooms of Seattle, the most north-westerly city of the USA, there was an unmistakable feeling in the air: the sensation of history being made.
- ESB spokesperson Pauline Madigan said the situation could have been much worse as the winds were south-westerly instead of the usually more damaging north-westerly winds.
- Approaching the Mersey Bar Lightship at a quarter-to-seven she was hit by a severe north-westerly gale.
- Carlisle was the most north-westerly town in the Roman Empire.
- The cold north-westerly wind blasting across the royal estate yesterday ensured neither of these marks would be threatened.
- Wintry showers in the West and North will gradually become more isolated and the north-westerly winds will ease.
- A north-westerly breeze and periods of good sunshine continued throughout the day which made things pleasant for everyone.
- The capital of the Northern Territory, Darwin is on the north-westerly tip of Australia and was strategically situated for maintaining a supply route and a stop-off base for armed forces heading into the Pacific Theatre.
- While playing into a cold north-westerly breeze, Bruff kept the deficit down to a manageable size until just before half time, when we conceded two quick goals.
1viento del noroeste masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.