In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ventana de la nariz feminineorificio nasal masculine formalnarina feminine
- Their smells floated into his nostrils, each one distinct, unique, intoxicating.
- The trunk is actually an elongation of the nose and has nostrils on the tip.
- Humans may have two nostrils, but these don't necessarily share the same sense of smell.
- I could see the group standing nervously on the river bank, their nostrils flaring wildly.
- Tilt their head back, lift up the chin, and pinch the nostrils together.
- Your surgeon will make cuts inside your nostrils to reach the bone and cartilage.
- Plug the other nostril and have the child gently blow through the nostril where the object is stuck.
- Fluid was collected from the left nostril and found to be sterile.
- By their shape, she must have assumed that they were to be fitted into her nostrils.
- Then, with the nosepiece inserted into the nostril, aim the spray towards the inner corner of the eye.
- Place your index finger of your right hand between your eyebrows, your thumb on your right nostril and your ring finger on your left nostril.
- A hole is pierced through the skin and cartilage of the nostril.
- He was about to reach shore, but then the haunting smell reached his nostrils again.
- So if you're putting it into your right nostril you should lean towards your right ear, with your head forward.
- Touch your thumb to your right nostril and your ring finger to your left nostril.
- If you just close one nostril and breathe out and then close the other nostril and breathe out you'll notice one of them is more open than the other.
- The sight sickened her, as the smell reached her nostrils - decay, excrement and urine.
- Both specimens were obtained without instillation of any solution into the nostrils.
- The jelly or nose spray is put just inside your nostril on the septum.
- I shuddered as its piercing smell shot through my nostrils and into my poor head.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.