In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(explorer/surgeon/historian) renombrado(surgeon/explorer/historian) célebre(historian/explorer/surgeon) de notato be noted for sth/-ing — ser conocido por algo/+ inf
- he is not noted for being tactful — no se lo conoce precisamente por su tacto
- The noted artist has been teaching in their classrooms for about eight years.
- By 1960, she had produced Jameson's Raid, becoming a noted historian in her fifties.
- Soon a prominent producer, a noted director and their friends rushed to the rescue of the students.
- We asked a group of noted authors to describe the books that shaped their characters.
- The workshop will be conducted under the direction of noted artist M.S. Murthy.
- An analysis of some published reviews of each book usually by noted reviewers or authors is also included.
- The late Paddy Mickey as he was known was one class act and he was a noted personality all his life and was held in high esteem by all.
- Sir David Steel gave an address at the memorial service for Nigel Tranter, the noted author who died in January.
- The idea is to popularise Kannada literature by singing compositions of noted poets of the State.
- It is a replica of Auberge de Castile, a noted architectural landmark in Valletta Harbour.
- A noted sportsman in his early years he was also a member of the Town Council in Loughrea in the late forties.
- Keynes was a member of the Bloomsbury Group and a noted patron of the arts.
- He was a noted musician and was renowned for his ability to play the flute which earned him recognition far and wide.
- Alexander, a former vice chancellor and a noted high-jumper were all honoured that day.
- A most amiable and kindly man, he was held in very high esteem and was a noted character in the area.
- Eric himself is a well known trainer, jockey and was a noted showjumper in his day.
- Father Yvon was also a noted writer, the author of several books about the sea.
- But aside from that Tom was an artist of great talent and also a noted singer in the USA.
- The noted psychologist, C.J. John's advice to the children was to learn from life.
- A noted man of letters paid a brief visit to Killoran's Bar last week to look up an old friend.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.