In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Those who are allergic to dairy have to look out for words like whey, lactose, caseinates, nougat, hydrolysates, and even some margarines contain milk protein.
- I went to Tesco and came back with a bar of Bertie Bassett's soft nougat.
- Other desserts include bananas or papaya in caramel and cream sauce, bread pudding with custard, coconut or banana tarts, delicious coconut sorbet, and a mean coconut nougat.
- By the time we got to the hotel there were only two bits of nougat left to eat - everything had been cleared away.
- That includes the ever-popular plum cake, plum pudding and Yule log, marzipans glittering with a coat of sugar, and delightful creations such as nougat, truffle and gateaux.
- To begin with, it was all puddings and cakes and sweets, and I would make fudge, toffee, nougat.
- A favorite Palestinian candy is halvah, a sweet nougat made of sesame seeds and honey.
- The chocolate was thin, slightly bitter, and in the centre was the most delicious nougat I'd ever eaten.
- He also produced the iced nougat, which alone would merit a major detour on any holiday to France.
- Baking is somewhat less important in Mediterranean countries, where nut and sugar confections such as nougat sustain the sweet toothed.
- They also keep bees and produce honey and nougat.
- In France they chop them into nougat and praline.
- I also like long walks in the rain, shopping, strong yet sensitive men who don't mind expressing their feelings, country music, nougat, soap operas, and cashmere sweaters with bright monograms.
- There are a few quite original artisans at work in the town, but it is mostly tourist shops selling pocket-sized cross-bows, knight-in-armour radios and Carcassonne walls made of nougat.
- That seems easy enough, but to address something of such monumental importance as candy you must take a closer look at the minute differences that separate say peanut butter filled chocolate eggs from nougat filled chocolate eggs.
- This promised the delights of creme caramel, homemade French nougat, ice-cream and pancakes.
- Cut nougat into 1 X 1 X 2-inch slices and place one on each plate.
- There is mango pulp from Gujurat, tahini from Damascus, nougat from Lahore and Heinz baked beans.
- After all, if you're simply looking for a recipe for honey-almond nougat, spending a bit of time using search engines or browsing various recipe sites is quite reasonable.
- Down the glen, at Montelimar, chestnuts are combined with local almonds and honey to make the nougat.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.