In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There's a strong feeling all around that the Czech government needs to take responsibility and keep Central Europe a nuclear-free zone.
- If we are really a nuclear-free country, why is radioactive material going up and down State Highway 1?
- Yes, plus they've declared the country a nuclear-free zone, along with San Francisco and Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Premier Chang Chun-hsiung also appealed yesterday to participants to remain calm in their campaign for a nuclear-free homeland and to be rational in their endeavors.
- Activists said that giving taxpayer's money to Taipower was contradictory to the government's goal of turning Taiwan into a nuclear-free homeland.
- Geraldton City Council is set to re-join the push to become a nuclear-free municipality.
- This momentous step means that one of Europe's leading economies will be nuclear-free by the time The Ecologist's 60th birthday arrives.
- But we should campaign for a European nuclear-free zone, for massive reductions in European military expenditure and against international interventions.
- In the late 1970s strong opposition to the presence of US bases developed, and Iceland became a nuclear-free zone in 1985.
- In 1985 it concluded the Treaty of Raratonga, which declared the South Pacific a nuclear-free zone from December 1986.
- The dynamics of the influential crusades for disarmament, a nuclear freeze, and nuclear-free zones are explored in great depth.
- After much political bickering and financial losses, a deal was reached to continue building the plant but to make Taiwan a nuclear-free nation in the future.
- ‘The legislature has said it wants a nuclear-free country, but the decision was to resume construction of the plant,’ Shih said.
- Many Australians imagine they live n a nuclear-free zone, an environment free from nasty nuclear radiation.
- Can the Buddhist leadership call for nuclear-free zones?
- Russia firmly rejected that information and stated that its naval forces follow their obligations to keep the Baltics a nuclear-free zone.
- In the longer term, the only equitable solution is to make the whole region nuclear-free, with no exceptions.
- ‘We have the vision to eventually create a nuclear-free homeland,’ he said.
- In the 1980s, cities across the country declared themselves to be nuclear-free zones, and antiapartheid resolutions were common.
- On Hiroshima Day 1962 CND met Prime Minister Holyoake to ask him to promote a Southern Hemisphere nuclear-free zone.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.