In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1a frutos secos
- The nutty flavour of the barley goes very well with the slightly exotic flavour of the mushrooms - a marriage made in Scotland.
- We sampled the plump, satisfying pork pot-stickers as well as the shrimp balls on cloud ear mushrooms, which combined a distinctly nutty flavour with the sweet pink puffs of shrimp.
- Flax seeds are tiny, golden, flat, elongated seeds, rather crunchy in texture, with a bit of a nutty flavour.
- Another novel sake introduced at the tasting event was the award-winning Kijoshu sake, which has a syrupy texture and a rich, nutty caramel flavor.
- Melted with milk, this one produces the assertive, clean, nutty flavour that gives your palate a hit similar to a strong espresso coffee.
- It was described by the Arctic explorer Richardson in the mid-19th century as ‘a small white root about the thickness of a goose quill, which had an agreeable nutty flavor’.
- This rice is less processed than its white counterpart: the grains retain their bran layers, giving the rice a light brown color, chewy texture, and nutty flavor.
- It has a delicate, fruity aroma reminiscent of apricots, a nutty flavour with a texture that's almost chewy.
- Simply grind in a coffee grinder or high-powered blender 3 measures of linseed, two measures of sunflower seeds and one measure of almonds to make a delicious nutty tasting powder.
- Each matzo is flame-baked in a traditional long oven for just sixty seconds to give them their incomparable crispness and subtle nutty flavour.
- When heated and reduced, maple syrup can be used for delicate sugar work, often with more appealing results than white sugar due to the syrup's smoky, almost nutty, flavor.
- They are stunning to look at and have a distinct, nutty flavour.
- They gave us creamy yak yoghurt buried with an inch of tsampa and for once I truly relished its nutty flavour.
- This is the perfect dish to showcase the truffle's earthy forest floor perfume and nutty flavour.
- Wild rice is considered a highly nutritional grain and is recognized by its chewy texture and nutty flavour.
- I suggested that maybe the spiciness of the Merguez may be overpowering it, because the Emmental certainly gave my own crepe it's nutty distinct flavour.
- You dip these ingredients into olive oil and then into a little bowl of zatar, a blend of spices and herbs like thyme and sumac, which dusts each bite an unusual nutty flavour.
- Its rich, nutty flavor is surprisingly sharp and refreshing.
- Another day we make semi-freddo, combining the richness of heavy cream with bitter dark chocolate and the nutty flavour of amaretti biscuits.
- For appetizers, I recommend the arugala salad for those who enjoy the distinctly nutty flavour of this salad green.
nueces, almendras, avellanas etc.
2.1(eccentric)(professor) chiflado informal(professor) chalado informal(idea) de loco
- There is no tangible search for solutions and little real, positive innovation or creativity; merely the recycling of outdated ideas, baseless gossip and nutty proposals.
- I would have to do this nutty, wild, exhausting sort of dance where I would flail my arms and legs out with so much gusto I would eventually lose some of the bottled up energy.
- Out there on the radical fringe, Lester knows he's unlikely to persuade the U.S. Congress to adopt his nutty proposals
- I have no doubt that the advice you have received from economists and tax experts has told you why your proposal is nutty.
- His nutty enthusiasm for the game of golf hasn't diminished one stroke in his even-par 72 years.
2.2(very fond)to be nutty about sb — estar loco / chalado / chiflado por algn
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.