In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(telling time)it's four o'clock — son las cuatro
- it's one o'clock — es la una
- at two o'clock in the afternoon/morning — a las dos de la tarde/mañana / madrugada
- it's twelve o'clock exactly — son las doce en punto
- it's just after one o'clock — acaba de dar la una
- the five o'clock train — el tren de las cinco
- It's now five o'clock, only an hour to go before his book launch.
- On Monday morning, they started out for the motorway at the unusually early hour of ten o'clock.
- So, it was back up to the surgery this morning, at the ungodly hour of nine o'clock.
- We arrived at the restaurant some time around eight o'clock.
- On Sunday morning he got up between eight and nine o'clock, and complained of not feeling well.
- We swim every day for an hour at 8 o'clock in the morning and I have to confess to not being the best swimmer in the world.
- I managed to get to sleep about eight o'clock this morning, woke at eleven-thirty, and still didn't know what day it was.
- At eight o'clock each morning, either himself or one of his team checks the salmon cages on Loch Ness and begins feeding the fish.
- The recording took just about an hour and will be broadcast on July 29th at one o'clock.
- At around eight o'clock, Odessa and Marilee still hadn't returned home, and Elizabeth heard a knock at the door.
- Every Monday night at eight o'clock, Spanish football fans make a date with England's greatest export.
- Guards came on at ten o'clock and had eight hours to kill when nothing was happening.
- He was handcuffed, and in due course brought to Rotherham, at which place he arrived between seven and eight o'clock at night.
- We sat drinking our Mojitos in a new bar in Soho, which had appealed to us thanks to its promise of a two-for-one happy hour until ten o'clock.
- When Matt woke up the next morning, it was just before eight o'clock.
- When the alarm went off at eight o'clock much swearing occurred.
- At eight o'clock in the morning 20 families were pulled out of their beds.
- It is almost eight o'clock, and the store is about to open its doors to the first customers of the day.
- The sleepy senators were collected before sunrise and the ceremony finished well before eight o'clock.
- Recordings started at eight o'clock and the pair would be in the Television Centre bar by quarter-past nine.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.