In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Since when did her quiet, passive, obedient brother ever command anyone?
- Dee believed the Angels to be obedient servants of God, submissive to the authority of Christ.
- We have been taught to be obedient to authorities and not to think for ourselves much.
- Make me like in mind to you, as an obedient child, meek and still.
- Commanded to sit by Sir Walter, the women are all obedient acquiescence.
- Row after row of white tennis shoes sit upright on foot spikes like pristine, obedient soldiers standing to attention.
- Her daughters also read spiritual works and were obedient to their mother.
- With Mimi he was expected to be neatly groomed, dutiful and obedient.
- Like an obedient servant, who follows his master's commands, the young ones always go with the mother.
- Iain has encouraged me to share this with you and since I'm such an obedient wife…
- Even grown men are expected to take orders from their mothers, expected to be obedient till the day they die.
- Kate is eventually tamed and obedient towards her husband by the end of the play.
- Of course, every American is not always ignorant, hypocritical and obedient.
- Other people enjoy the dance of the fingers across an obedient keyboard.
- They are expected to be obedient and comply with requests from adults immediately.
- No one knows what to make of her because she seems so obedient.
- Noriko reached into her miniature satchel and retrieved the requested item like an obedient nurse in an operating theatre.
- Children are expected to be obedient and to show respect for their elders.
- This seems to be, in many ways, a question of one law for the them, and one for the obedient puppy, excepting for some salient cases.
- Sometimes, he turns me into a child and I become shy and obedient.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.