In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Noriko reached into her miniature satchel and retrieved the requested item like an obedient nurse in an operating theatre.
- Other people enjoy the dance of the fingers across an obedient keyboard.
- Row after row of white tennis shoes sit upright on foot spikes like pristine, obedient soldiers standing to attention.
- Like an obedient servant, who follows his master's commands, the young ones always go with the mother.
- We have been taught to be obedient to authorities and not to think for ourselves much.
- Kate is eventually tamed and obedient towards her husband by the end of the play.
- Since when did her quiet, passive, obedient brother ever command anyone?
- Even grown men are expected to take orders from their mothers, expected to be obedient till the day they die.
- Iain has encouraged me to share this with you and since I'm such an obedient wife…
- Sometimes, he turns me into a child and I become shy and obedient.
- Of course, every American is not always ignorant, hypocritical and obedient.
- With Mimi he was expected to be neatly groomed, dutiful and obedient.
- They are expected to be obedient and comply with requests from adults immediately.
- Dee believed the Angels to be obedient servants of God, submissive to the authority of Christ.
- Children are expected to be obedient and to show respect for their elders.
- No one knows what to make of her because she seems so obedient.
- Make me like in mind to you, as an obedient child, meek and still.
- Her daughters also read spiritual works and were obedient to their mother.
- This seems to be, in many ways, a question of one law for the them, and one for the obedient puppy, excepting for some salient cases.
- Commanded to sit by Sir Walter, the women are all obedient acquiescence.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.