In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(stubbornness)obstinación feminineterquedad feminine
- His persistence, even obstinacy, marked him out.
- If Richards's film is a tribute to the tenacity of the treasure hunters, its very existence is proof of his dogged obstinacy.
- He hoped his parents would not be difficult for he was not in the mood for their stubborn obstinacy.
- Experimental films owe their sole existence to the perseverance and obstinacy of the filmmakers, sometimes at the risk of their lives.
- The obduracy and obstinacy of human beings is what enables them to fight for their countries, repel invaders and maintain their solidarity.
2(of illness) persistencia feminine(of efforts, resistance) tenacidad feminine(of efforts, resistance) determinación feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.