In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(ticket/information/results/merchandise) conseguir(results/information/merchandise/ticket) obtener formalsalt can be obtained from sea water — se puede obtener sal del agua del mar
- to obtain sth for sb — conseguirle algo a algn
- we can obtain that book for you — le podemos conseguir ese libro
- He suggested that his apparent support for official policy was obtained under duress.
- The volume of apoplastic fluid obtained by centrifugation increased gradually when the centrifugal forces increased.
- If the consent is dishonestly obtained, then there is still dishonesty.
- The results obtained by the 2 methods of specimen handling and DNA extraction were indistinguishable.
- Serum samples were also obtained from 25 healthy blood donors which served as controls.
- A new strain was one that had not been isolated from sputum samples previously obtained from an individual patient.
- Fifteen years later, no shared national understanding obtains about those events.
- The licensed acupuncturist also obtains informed consent from each patient.
- But how does all this fit with what obtains here at home?
- This might seem unusual, yet something similar may well be obtaining in many marriages.
- Consent was also obtained from parents and students.
- The parameter estimates were obtained using simulated maximum likelihood with Halton sequences as described by Train.
- All estimates are obtained using four driving values and bridge sampling.
- Do they use the same sort of violence and threats to obtain what they want?
- The same pattern obtains for Islam, as Woodward includes miracles associated with Muhammad and then a number of Sufi saints.
- I should note that Welborn Rule obtains here: all posts to me are subject to possible posting, so be forewarned!
- The same foolishness, the same sterility, obtains in the ‘not serious’ as in the ‘serious’.
- After genetic isolation of P insertion chromosomes, the flanking sequences were obtained by inverse PCR and sequenced.
- It'll be my turn to prod the jelly tomorrow if silence still obtains.
- Suppose you start off with no information about which of the four possible combinations of truth values for A and B obtains.
- The analysis was performed on natural log-transformed data, and parameters were obtained directly from the analysis.
- It is our hope the situation obtaining on the Copperbelt is not a passing phase.
- There is absolutely no desire here to tinker with what obtains.
- A Catholic would say the same thing obtains with the Blessed Virgin.
- Overall equilibrium obtains when these three markets are in equilibrium.
- A genus-species relation obtains when a proper definition of the form X = YZ is possible.
- It is also suggested in the article that the same obtains in the United States, although no real source for that information is given.
- But Descartes insists that a rational distinction also obtains between any two attributes of a substance.
- Probes were obtained by PCR amplification of the indicated loci.
- Under the old billing system, accountants and corporate officers could not easily obtain necessary data or documents.
- The commissioner found that the leave form was not authorised and the sick certificate was fraudulently obtained.
- But the bill does not definitively bar statements obtained under torture or other abuse.
- Or are we to go semi-professional like obtains on the domestic soccer front in Ireland, with such little attraction for fans.
- That situation still obtains in the case of the distribution of power, resources and opportunities among the four provinces of the state.
- We understand that over one million people in South Africa have fraudulently obtained licences or have none at all.
- The same of course obtains with respect to the ethnic grievance groups that oppose such measures in the name of equal treatment.
- Maps obtained in these studies are based on the third and the fourth extractions.
- Because he felt as if he could never obtain what the couple shared.
- This gender inequality obtains everywhere in this sector.
- Sadly, Dr Mumba's discovery at the ministry of Lands gives a clear picture of what obtains in the entire civil service.
1(exist)(belief/practice) imperar formal(conditions) estar dadas
2(be valid)(theorem/law) regir
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.