In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1conseguirobtener formalsalt can be obtained from sea water — se puede obtener sal del agua del mar
- to obtain sth for sb — conseguirle algo a algn
- we can obtain that book for you — le podemos conseguir ese libro
- He suggested that his apparent support for official policy was obtained under duress.
- A genus-species relation obtains when a proper definition of the form X = YZ is possible.
- The licensed acupuncturist also obtains informed consent from each patient.
- Consent was also obtained from parents and students.
- A Catholic would say the same thing obtains with the Blessed Virgin.
- It is also suggested in the article that the same obtains in the United States, although no real source for that information is given.
- If the consent is dishonestly obtained, then there is still dishonesty.
- Or are we to go semi-professional like obtains on the domestic soccer front in Ireland, with such little attraction for fans.
- The parameter estimates were obtained using simulated maximum likelihood with Halton sequences as described by Train.
- But how does all this fit with what obtains here at home?
- Do they use the same sort of violence and threats to obtain what they want?
- This gender inequality obtains everywhere in this sector.
- Under the old billing system, accountants and corporate officers could not easily obtain necessary data or documents.
- Fifteen years later, no shared national understanding obtains about those events.
- After genetic isolation of P insertion chromosomes, the flanking sequences were obtained by inverse PCR and sequenced.
- The same of course obtains with respect to the ethnic grievance groups that oppose such measures in the name of equal treatment.
- I should note that Welborn Rule obtains here: all posts to me are subject to possible posting, so be forewarned!
- Maps obtained in these studies are based on the third and the fourth extractions.
- Probes were obtained by PCR amplification of the indicated loci.
- The same pattern obtains for Islam, as Woodward includes miracles associated with Muhammad and then a number of Sufi saints.
- This might seem unusual, yet something similar may well be obtaining in many marriages.
- Sadly, Dr Mumba's discovery at the ministry of Lands gives a clear picture of what obtains in the entire civil service.
- But the bill does not definitively bar statements obtained under torture or other abuse.
- The results obtained by the 2 methods of specimen handling and DNA extraction were indistinguishable.
- A new strain was one that had not been isolated from sputum samples previously obtained from an individual patient.
- The commissioner found that the leave form was not authorised and the sick certificate was fraudulently obtained.
- Overall equilibrium obtains when these three markets are in equilibrium.
- It'll be my turn to prod the jelly tomorrow if silence still obtains.
- The same foolishness, the same sterility, obtains in the ‘not serious’ as in the ‘serious’.
- The analysis was performed on natural log-transformed data, and parameters were obtained directly from the analysis.
- Serum samples were also obtained from 25 healthy blood donors which served as controls.
- Suppose you start off with no information about which of the four possible combinations of truth values for A and B obtains.
- Because he felt as if he could never obtain what the couple shared.
- We understand that over one million people in South Africa have fraudulently obtained licences or have none at all.
- But Descartes insists that a rational distinction also obtains between any two attributes of a substance.
- The volume of apoplastic fluid obtained by centrifugation increased gradually when the centrifugal forces increased.
- It is our hope the situation obtaining on the Copperbelt is not a passing phase.
- That situation still obtains in the case of the distribution of power, resources and opportunities among the four provinces of the state.
- There is absolutely no desire here to tinker with what obtains.
- All estimates are obtained using four driving values and bridge sampling.
1(exist)(belief/practice) imperar formal(conditions) estar dadas
2(be valid)(law/theorem) regir
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.