In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the occult — las ciencias ocultas
1(arts/powers) oculto(ritual) ocultista
- Both Christian and Jew are forbidden to participate in the occult practices listed in Deuteronomy 18: 10.
- Americans have significantly increased their belief in psychic, paranormal and occult phenomena over the past decade, the Gallup Poll notes.
- Plus I will be putting together two galleries, one of designs I have done for specific people, and another of occult tattoo flash art.
- The result is witchcraft practised as an occult art, operating primarily through spells and curses.
- The Allies raid the camp where the occult ceremony is taking place, but not before a demon has already been conjured.
- She even thought that mesmerism and hypnotism were occult arts.
- Seeking ‘higher levels of consciousness’ may instead bring devotees face to face with evil spirits through occult practices.
- Her plots depend on the occult power of art and the frailty of our ordinary healthy relation to the world.
- In addition Spence distinguished between the benevolent occult arts and black magic.
- The genuine seekers of truth will receive the spiritual awakening not by psychedelic drugs nor by occult practices.
- The regulation bans any direct or indirect promotion through radio or television of occult practices.
- I had a grandmother involved in the occult practice of Kabala and that was very dangerous.
- He passionately wanted to revive interest in the occult arts.
- I am often thankful that I started studying/practicing Zen shortly before I began studying/practicing various occult traditions.
- He was the son of Silken Thomas and as a result of being educated in Italy he came to be recognised as a dabbler in the occult arts.
- From her he had inherited his mysticism and his occult powers.
- As Thomson relates, film began as an occult, slightly shady art, played in flickering lights often in the bad part of town.
- It is no accident therefore, that alchemy has been relegated to the margins along with other occult practices.
- I have a doctorate in religious philosophy as well as the occult arts so I know a lot about different religions.
- Leading members of the society visited India and other parts of Asia to study mystical teachings and seek out occult phenomena.
2formal(secret, esoteric)(terminology) arcano formal
- Goddess worship is a key component in most esoteric - or what came to be known as occult - traditions.
- That's what is so disappointing about using the Net to organize occult communities.
- Since my initiation, very few outside of my Order knew of my initiation or of my occult involvement.
- Every culture has its avant-garde, and every avant-garde has its own occult language.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.