In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Climatology, evolutionary biology, oceanography, and plate tectonics all got a jump start from Challenger's results.
- Interpretive exhibits highlight Scripps research as well as the history of oceanography.
- In 1968, he was appointed professor of oceanography.
- Ashore there will be a vast interactive exhibition area with displays on international marine technology, oceanography and ecology.
- I thought you weren't keeping up with what went on in the rest of the world outside of marine biology and oceanography.
- After trying his hand at biological oceanography in college, Waltuck traveled throughout Europe for six months.
- I've been privileged to interact with many of the great scientists who led oceanography in the postwar era.
- In 1855, Maury wrote the first textbook on modern oceanography, The Physical Geography of the Sea and Its Meteorology.
- These salinity changes are unprecedented in the relatively short history of the science of oceanography.
- Science on the reef embraces so many diverse and alluring fields: marine ecology, oceanography, plate tectonics, ethnobiology, and more.
- Munk was honored with the 1999 Kyoto Prize in Basic Sciences for his fundamental contributions to the field of oceanography.
- At the end of the '60s, earth sciences was added to the marine biology and oceanography degrees offered at Scripps.
- Both students are in the biological oceanography curricular group at Scripps.
- Physics and physical oceanography thus immediately became vital to the national war effort.
- Dynamic oceanography may result in dynamic recruitment success.
- A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Cane has written nearly 200 papers on a broad range of topics in oceanography and climatology.
- The National Research Council has ranked Scripps first in faculty quality among oceanography programs nationwide.
- That is in fact a very important part of the physical oceanography of the Great Barrier Reef.
- He specializes in ocean acoustics, signal processing and physical oceanography.
- This web of activity is made all the worse by the influence of microclimates, complex oceanography, and unique geographical features.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.