In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the 1970s, there was even a double bass octet specialising in new music.
- Arriaga was second fiddle in a string quartet at nine years of age, and two years later wrote an octet.
- Murray's last release for this label, a tribute to Coltrane played by an octet, was on many critics' top - 10 lists.
- In spite of his modest output, Louis Ferdinand is regarded as the first to compose for the piano septet and octet mediums.
- The final work on the disc is Dos Danzas Latinas, an eloquent wind octet in two movements - Habanera and Samba.
- Mind Tricks, an octet of male dancers, consistently managed a successful balance between solo and group performance.
- He also leads an octet and the South City Six Dixieland Jazz Band.
- Long at the vanguard of twenty-something folk angst, Scottish octet Belle and Sebastian have been keeping it quiet for the last year.
- Tonight, Wakefield Jazz presents Sax Appeal, a long-established octet which features five saxophones, led by Derek Nash.
- If I'd have known she was part of the screeching octet, I would have cleaned up a bit better.
- Jamil Sheriff is the pianist with Joel's band and he will be taking his own octet to Leeds College of Music on Wednesday.
- The octet will go on to perform the Dvorak anniversary concert at Castle Howard on Tuesday.
- Love Of Light, the octet's second album, is an occasionally beautiful mess.
- Burney recorded that his instrumental works - symphonies, concertos, octets, quartets, and trios - were as popular as his vocal music.
- There is something wonderfully cussed about this Liverpool octet's omission of their finest song from their first album.
- John of Gaunt entered five groups in this year's regional festival including its wind band, low brass ensemble and trombone octet.
- The string octet that accompanied him then had provided a safety net of sorts.
- The enterprising young Mr Sheriff has won Arts Council funding for the octet.
- Since 1993, when the octet formed as a side project, few bands have been doing the alternative thing, as influenced by Faith No More and Mr. Bungle.
- As Above, So Below finds Julian in a calmer mood than the usual galloping momentum of his octet line-up.
- In my continuing education I learned that Mendelssohn orchestrated the scherzo of his octet.
- Jamil's octet tour last year and his CD Daydreams received enthusiastic reviews.
- Here is the octet as it is called, the first eight lines of the sonnet.
- In the first huitain (an octet that rhymes ababbcbc) de Pisan declares her personal voice as the narrator.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.