In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The olives were too strong, and the octopus too hesitant.
- What are the implications of the physical properties of water for suction attachment in octopus suckers?
- The task of retrieving the prey proved too simple for the octopus, so it was given a jar of fish with a screw-cap lid.
- The harbor seal's diet consists of fish, cephalopods, such as octopus and squid, and crustaceans.
- Local fishermen reported the appearance of large numbers of octopuses.
- Indeed, octopuses are frequently observed to exert force on objects with their arms aligned parallel to the line of force.
- With more than a 250 species, octopuses are members of an ancient group of animals called cephalopods.
- A nautilus does not have suckers on its tentacles like an octopus does.
- Cephalopods, the octopus, the squid and cuttlefish are the main groups, I think.
- In addition, the octopus can inject a powerful neurotoxin that is stored in the salivary glands to disable or kill its prey.
- This fish is vital to the reef ecosystem as a predator of smaller fish, lobster, crab, octopus, and shrimp.
- Cephalopods, which includes octopuses and squid, have seriously weird brains.
- They eat a wide range of prey, often octopus and small molluscs.
- Otters also are known to eat crabs, octopus, squid, sea stars, and fish.
- He compares the octopus to the other cephalopods - cuttlefish, crayfish, and the like.
- Giant cephalopods such as squid and octopuses are also a great source of sea-monster folklore.
- Abalone belongs to the phylum Mollusca, a group which includes clams, scallops, sea slugs, octopuses, and squid.
- The major group of mesozoans, the Dicyemida, live as microscopic parasites in the renal organs of squid and octopuses.
- The circulatory systems of other vertebrates, as well as those of squids and octopuses, employ similar rubbery materials.
- The most obvious example is the mantle, a spherical bag of hydrostat in an octopus and a cylinder closed at one end in a squid.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.