- Other symptoms of polycythemia vera include headaches, transient neurologic or ocular complaints, and paresthesias.
- In high concentrations, the smoke causes ocular and upper respiratory tract irritation in health care personnel.
- In one uncontrolled series, 12% of women developed ocular toxicity, some of them within a few months of starting treatment.
- Patients with suspected ocular disease should be referred to an ophthalmologist for a full dilated ocular examination.
- A high index of suspicion can preserve vision and prevent further ocular complications.