In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the Odyssey — la Odisea
2plural odysseys", "odyssey
- You don't, in fact, have to do much to present a story in Odyssean terms.
- Pound's eye is always on resourceful intelligences, embodiments of the Odyssean archetype.
- The book has been criticized for being outlandish but its appeal lies in its strong narrative voice and its Odyssean story line.
- This talented photographer made an Odyssean journey from his home in California to photograph Britain's stables out of personal interest.
- Anderson cuts back the distracting noises and crumbling static to reveal a stark paean about Odyssean fortitude.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.