In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A female may come into her brief period of estrus at any time during the mating season, which runs from late November through mid-January.
- After producing a foal, her periods of estrus are more difficult to detect, and she remains with the father of her offspring.
- However, if a female's cubs are killed (usually by an intruding male lion), then the female comes into estrus early and has more cubs.
- Women's sexuality is not limited to a specific period of estrus, as it is in almost all other mammals.
- This study involved the 29 females that showed estrus cycles with swellings during the 2002 mating season.
- Female chipmunks are in estrus for 1 day a year in late April or early May.
- The number of males and the number of females in estrus within a 10 m radius of the male was recorded at each location.
- Around 18 hours after giving birth, females experience postpartum estrus, and mate again.
- A beef cow has a 21-day estrous cycle, the period from one estrus, or heat, to the next.
- ‘When the female is in estrus, breeding bulls that are 35 to 55 years old and in their prime can be many miles away,’ Garstang said.
- Males will mate with females that inhabit their territory or seek out estrus females if no territory is established.
- Chenoweth described biostimulation as the positive stimulatory effects of a bull on estrus, ovulation, or pregnancy.
- To assess whether shadowing was linked to estrus, we required an estimate of the likely estrous period for females.
- Judging from mating rate, I found that female topi antelopes in estrus preferred lek males to resource defenders.
- Females have a short estrus period of 3 to 5 days.
- Females that exhibit estrus during the feeding period have not consumed an adequate daily dose of MGA.
- The reproductive cycle has four stages: anestrus, proestrus, estrus, and diestrus.
- We collected female urine by bladder palpation and pooled the samples over 7-20 days per female to control for variation due to estrus.
- Fillies began ovulating and advertising estrus by adopting a distinctive posture between one and two years of age.
- The estrous cycle is 28 days with a 3 day period of estrus.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.