In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)tienda de vinos y licores femininebotillería feminine Chile
- Febvre supplies wine to shops, supermarkets, off-licences, restaurants, hotels and pubs.
- Police are urging off-licences and traders selling alcohol to log the number of refusals and report offending adults.
- He said only people aged 18 or over should be allowed to sell alcohol in off-licences, supermarkets and pubs.
- I went shopping at my local off-licence recently and bought six Aussie brands at an average price of £6.65.
- Most of the major supermarkets and off-licences are discounting the prices of wines and champagnes, perhaps anticipating the after-Christmas slump.
- Police say they will be running a number of operations over the next few weeks to target under-age drinkers and also make sure off-licences are not selling alcohol to people under age.
- A similar appeal has been made to off-licences and other shops selling alcohol, in a letter which has even gone to pubs as much as five miles away from the football stadium.
- Both these leading wine shops are also off-licences - that is, legally entitled to sell beer and spirits as well as wine.
- But the owners of off-licences insisted they only sold alcohol to adults and were ‘powerless to stop them passing it on to minors.’
- The number of wine shops and off-licences have exploded hand in hand with the consumer's love affair with wine.
- Airports and supermarket off-licences already serve alcohol around the clock.
- Southend stores and off-licences are freely selling alcohol, tobacco and fireworks to underage youngsters, an investigation has revealed.
- ‘No planning permission is necessary if the same shop were to be converted into an off-licence selling beer, spirits and wine,’ he said.
- In the past year, Irish police have adopted a tougher approach to pubs and off-licences that sell drink to teens.
- His accomplice tried unsuccessfully to open the till at the off-licence and grocery shop in Wood Green, north London.
- He had already been drinking before he arrived with a bottle of vodka and he and his companion went to an off-licence for more drink around 6.30 pm.
- I knew Bill wouldn't have a problem getting served in an off-licence and he didn't.
- In all, police visited 13 shops and only one off-licence sold the youngster drink.
- I have no problem with adults out having a social drink, where I do have the problem is when people buy alcohol from off-licences and drink in groups around the town.
- Almost £3.1bn worth of wine was bought from shops and off-licences in the year to February 2003, compared with around £1.3bn in 1992.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.