In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1fuera de pistato go off-piste — ir / esquiar fuera de pista
- In the United States and Australia, skiing away from designated areas is prohibited, but in France it's normal to ski off-piste and on glaciers.
- These races require competitors to climb and descend steep, sometimes dodgy off-piste terrain using climbing skins and lightweight alpine-touring skis, boots, and bindings.
- It is situated in the enormous Les Trois Vallees ski area which links what is conservatively estimated at 600 kilometres of groomed pistes and off-piste terrain.
- But the question still remained, could I, a ‘good intermediate’ skier, cope with true off-piste conditions?
- While we off-piste skiers are a mobile force, we don't always have the time or energy for long approach marches.
- Initially I was just a holiday skier, but after we got our apartment here I took up off-piste skiing and ski-touring very seriously.
- During the winter her main activities are off-piste skiing and ski touring.
- You can break a leg on the prepared piste but to go off-piste is often considered foolhardy.
- Luckily my 16 year old son was scooped up by our friends, and his days were spent in wild, off-piste skiing.
- The Outside team tested the latest off-piste equipment - snowboards that split in two, barely-there alpine bindings, shaped telemark skis designed to float on powder - to get you up and down with ease.
- The lawyer was skiing off-piste in the resort of Verbier in the Alps when he fell some 300 metres after losing his footing and ended up in a snow gully.
- Powder hounds won't be disappointed either as there are excellent off-piste skiing and mogul runs, but it's wise to ask for a guide if you take the uncharted option.
- I'm also keen on off-piste skiing and snowboarding, and I think Norway is very good for that.
- Even so, skiing will forever be the best way to travel off-piste - two-planks certainly have a future.
- On-piste conditions are almost perfect, and in many places, off-piste routes are skiable for the first time this winter.
- The huge adrenalin rush of surfing titanic waves such as this is often compared with other extreme sports such as skydiving and off-piste snowboarding and skiing.
- The off-piste revolution in Japan is now unstoppable, and its ski resorts are going to have to learn an entirely new culture to deal with it.
- Any advanced skiers can try their hand on some ungroomed black piste, both off-piste and on the mountain, on the Grande Monets slopes.
- There are over 140 groomed green and blue (advanced beginner) runs, snow parks, off-piste challenges and wide, flat nursery slopes.
- This year's revelation is that controlling my center of gravity makes a major difference in how nimbly I can ski steeps, moguls and off-piste chunky snow.
1(run/skiing) fuera de pista
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.