In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They give donations to the sadhus - regarded as offerings to the gods - and get their blessing in return.
- On the day they burn special ‘money’ as an offering to the deceased.
- Spices were used as incense for the sacrificial offerings, which in our time is represented by Tefillah, prayer.
- Sacrifices and offerings are made to it and to the graves of male ancestors.
- Often, they leave behind fresh fruit and flowers, and some even burn paper money and other offerings to the souls of their ancestors.
- Farmers present offerings and gifts to the deities for a successful harvest season and pray for bumper crops in the next.
- The figures were also created as ritual offerings to the gods during weddings and festivals.
- The Celts built bonfires and fired animals as sacrificial offerings to their death god.
- Kumar notes that the Yajur Veda describes the preparation of rice cakes as a ritual offering.
- Those rituals involved animal sacrifice and blood offerings to Mother Earth.
- Observing the flames of ritual fire offerings is also a form of divination.
- As in India, pilgrimages are for rich and poor, whoever is willing to make offerings and sacrifice.
- Their demeanour indicated that they had not come to honour Manat or to leave a token offering.
- Along with animal sacrifices, and offerings from other crops, libations of wine were poured out to the gods by Italians and Greeks.
- An offering of libation and sacrifices accompanies communication with the deceased at the gravesite.
- In the morning, families prepare food and offerings to be presented to the monks the next day, New Years Day.
- The festival lasts ten days, with numerous rituals and offerings to the gods.
- They are also attracted by the religious offerings of the Hindus in temples and try to emulate them.
- The villagers support their monks with food, gifts, and offerings to Buddha.
- The psalmist had adapted this picture to refer to the spiritual offerings of prayer, praise and proclamation.
- Anything that is given to the church was a freewill offering - ranging from 0% upwards.
- In the old days, servants would be given time-off and worshippers would present offerings to their Mother Church.
- We were giving out allowances and we always give it to them in change, so they can take their offering to church.
- It is indicated in the fact only about 25% of Christian tithe and give thanksgiving offerings to God.
- Cost for the dinner is a free-will offering along with the donation of one canned food item.
- The priests would not accept Roman money for offerings, and the money exchangers gave rates at their own whim.
- The church takes offerings, but it doesn't offer much guidance on where the money goes after it hits the collection plate.
- If you are a church member, how do you know that your tithes and offerings are being used wisely?
- Representatives of the congregation bring the people's offerings of bread and wine, and money or other gifts, to the deacon or celebrant.
- In the first part, we are invited to make our offering of money for the work of the church.
- The organizers must foot that bill with their churches' tithes and offerings.
- On Il'ia's day, in many parts of Russia, propitiatory offerings were brought to church.
- It appears that removing cash from offerings and church fund-raisers by a pastor was a technique-of-choice in both of these cases.
- Depositing intact means not allowing cash in the offering to be used for the payment of church expenses or to be exchanged for other cash or a check.
- It exploits the good intentions and generosity of Church members whose Sunday offerings are used in this selfish and disproportionate way.
- Some can charge admission for an event, even in church, while others rely on freewill offerings only and trust in the Lord's blessing.
- At the same time bible-based cults may ridicule churches that take up free-will offerings by passing collection plates and/or sell literature and tapes.
- Conflict shows itself in the spouse who resents increasing the tithe the family makes to the church or becomes upset when asked to make a special offering.
- The special mass was enhanced by a performance by a choir of over 30 present pupils, while a number of past pupils offered gifts, prayers and offerings.
- Stewardship is more than making offerings at church.
- Once broadband customers are on board, the company plans to sell them a host of offerings, from entertainment downloads to its online personals.
- Product offerings ranged from stocking rustic wood samples to manufacturing 23-karat ornate gold frames.
- On the first day of the offering there was negligible subscription from the market.
- Other commercial galleries in Wynwood are presenting a range of offerings.
- Detailed information about its fleet, in flight dining and entertainment, and duty-free offerings are available on the website.
- These new mobile entertainment offerings are based on the consumers' desire to take the TV out of the living room and enjoy it on the go.
- The laugh a minute guys present this weeks tedious offerings of up to date music listened to by the nation.
- Well, it's a Paramount disc, and all the things that usually come with the studio's offerings are present here.
- Creative has added music production to its range of sound card offerings.
- The gift shop's offerings bear silent witness to a half century of American scientific discovery.
- The commercial offerings are very impressive, but tend to have a price tag to match.
- During his tenure, he has started and commercialized several product offerings.
- Even if gift items are not a part of the usual shop offerings, framers should consider adding some now.
- And for those of us jaded by too many over-packaged seasonal movie offerings, he's a Christmas gift that just keeps on giving.
- They must be quick to bring new and differentiated product offerings to market.
- I managed to take in some of the wonderful entertainment offerings in the cosmopolitan city!
- Inside, customers are presented with an eclectic offering of well designed, objects ranging from bars of soap to sofas and beds.
- Allow insurers to expand their product offerings to include group insurance, health and pension plans.
- ‘Low carb has made a major impact on our present and future offerings,’ she says.
- The range has been enlarged to increase commercial customer product offerings, increase unit sales and raise profitability.
2(donation)ofrenda femininedonativo masculine
3(creation, product)creación masculinethis year's offerings from the Paris designers — las creaciones que nos ofrecen este año los diseñadores de París
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.