In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The police have now roped in the residents' associations and are organising meetings of the association office-bearers in their efforts for better policing of the capital region.
- In fact, the well-read office-bearers of the organisation would not utter a word about the incident, when mediapersons sought their response to it.
- She is still the only female advocate to have served as an office-bearer, and a portrait honours her achievement.
- An office-bearer put it simply, ‘If we government doctors do not help the government medical colleges, who will?’
- The office-bearers will be meeting in Kolkata over the next couple of days.
- It is something from which all ministers and office-bearers would benefit greatly.
- At a provincial congress the DA elects its office-bearers, proposes, debates and adopts motions and nominates its delegates to the federal congress.
- Party office-bearers within his electorate, which covers much of inland Queensland, have opposed the National Party standing a candidate against him.
- The Markaz and the Lashkar-e-Toiba are extremely secretive organisations and take great care to conceal the identities of their office-bearers.
- The office-bearers of the collective are working on evolving a network of theatre artistes across the State by the time the body's first annual meeting will be convened.
- In his absence the sessions were chaired by the office-bearers of the congregation.
- Were we more transparent with our so-called declaration of interests of top political office-bearers, we might know more, but this is not the case at present.
- The new office-bearers decided to honour their sentiment and decided to revive the publication.
- Having been formally elected for a three-year term, Naidu is unlikely to lose his post, but all the other office-bearers remain on tenterhooks.
- This week, it became known that the authority responsible for remuneration levels of parliamentarians was recommending an increase of 7% for office-bearers such as ministers.
- Other office-bearers were elected unanimously.
- The entire school wore a festive look with the office-bearers of the alumni association and students leaving no stone unturned to make the moment a memorable one.
- Though the students pay for it, office-bearers of managements of most private affiliated colleges use the magazines for self-publicity.
- Sometimes Ministers and other senior political office-bearers are placed on boards of State-owned enterprises, where they also earn a fee.
- The organisers and the office-bearers have strained every nerve possible to make the tournament a resounding success.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.