In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(document/language/version/title) oficialon an official visit — en visita oficial
- the election will be in March and that's official — las elecciones serán en marzo: está confirmado
- Spanish and Quechua are both recognized as official languages in Peru.
- The official figures count as employed anyone who works one hour in the surveyed week of the month.
- A Garda spokesman could not provide official figures for seizures over the last 18 months.
- Whatever happens, few members of the public accept the official line that the case is criminal and not politically motivated.
- The statement is representative of much of the official rhetoric employed by the regime to engender support.
- The most recent official unemployment statistic from China is only 4 percent.
- Yet, even though official statistics reveal this abysmal state of affairs, what is the Government's response?
- Chadi says he still has not been approved as an official candidate.
- The opinions contained are those of the authors, and no official endorsement is intended or should be inferred.
- As the spokesman admitted, there is an official ban on such activities, of which all scientists involved would have been well aware.
- It is inconceivable, however, that the raids would have gone ahead without official authorisation.
- Simple lack of official records of intelligence activities on both sides was another factor.
- Deference to the Dutch referendum on Wednesday meant that official responses to last night's extraordinary result were muted.
- Parents are being urged to ensure their children obtain official authorisation if they need to be out of school for any reason.
- For the first time emails were produced as official documents in a public inquiry.
- Though official figures are difficult to come by, reports estimate that at least 200 people were killed.
- The new name and logo will become official with new bylaws when they pass.
- Judge King from the city courts has granted this and it is now official.
- We have been waiting for quite a while for this but it is now official.
- Both authors agree that the official account of the King's death and the arrangements for his burial raise difficulties.
1government official — funcionario del Estado masculine
- party/union official — dirigente (del partido/sindicato)
- Russian/EU officials — funcionarios rusos/de la UE
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.