In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(old woman)señora femininefeminine viejecita informal
- No safety gear, but those old girls certainly have a strong grip.
- The old girl went, and the old girl is not going to come back.
- My source told me of the time that he went to a retirement village with Kelly, and Kelly ended up playing the piano for the old girls in residence.
- The club is holding a 16th birthday reunion this Saturday at Matthew's Church Hall, Station Road, Redhill, and is inviting along all the old girls from the past.
- As part of the 50th celebrations there is talk of a reunion, which is already causing a stir among old girls.
- This was followed on November 8 by a reunion lunch and tour for old girls.
- We're happy with the ethos of Laurel Park; my wife is an old girl of the school.
- The Education Secretary and Whalley Range High School old girl resigns saying she wasn't up to the job.
- She was not the only old girl disturbed by this portrayal of the school.
- This year's event is at Barnes Sports Club in Lonsdale Road on Saturday, June 7th, where old girls will descend from all four corners of the globe.
- The former pupil, whose daughter is now a pupil at the school, tracked down old girls from the intervening years via internet websites.
- Education is about aspiration, so these successful old girls prove what you can achieve.
- When Mrs Lee-Jones checked the dates she discovered that the two old girls ' birthdays were just a day apart - Isobel's on March 2 and Lily's on March 3.
- Quite often, old girls will come back to talk to the current pupils.
- The former pupil has made a film about the school's history, including interviews with old girls.
- Famous old girls and boys include actress Diana Rigg, Prime Minister Herbert Asquith and factory reformer Richard Oastler.
- Famous old girls include Harriet Harman, constitutional affairs minister, and Rosalind Franklin, the DNA pioneer.
- Second chattiest in the land are the old girls of Wakefield Girls High - yesterday visited for a celebratory lunch by the Internet site's co-founder, Steve Pankhurst.
- Now four of the old girls have met up and are trying to trace other year-group members and teachers for a reunion in Keighley on July 19.
- Janet, an old girl of Queen Anne School in York, was named best actress in a musical or comedy film for her performance as a Southern mum in Tumbleweeds.
- Pupils at a York girl's school are celebrating the birthday of their most famous old girl - Oscar-winning actress Dame Judi Dench, who is 70 today.
- The Parktown and Westcliff Trust developed the garden, sponsored by old girls from the school and other donors.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.