In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Now, step by step, the levers of power are returning to the old oligarchs against whom the revolution was supposedly directed.
- Nor is the criminality of Russia's oligarchs an aberration.
- However, should the city fall into misfortune, the people will blame the rulers and call them oligarchs.
- Nevertheless, Hayes had a reputation as a civil-service reformer, so he fought the oligarchs.
- The oligarchs with their trusted lackeys, treated the rest of the population, as human cattle.
- The dictatorship of transnational corporations, ruled by financial oligarchs, must be ended.
- Oligarchs come, oligarchs go, but the true fan can never switch allegiance.
- The Regent oligarchs, holding office for life, were like kings by divine right, they too answered to no earthly power.
- Hoffman's perspective is clearly critical of the oligarchs, but unlike other books about them, his is not a screed.
- Democratic slogans were hypocritically used when they permitted the future oligarchs to proceed with their conquest of property.
- Privatization measures have placed former state properties under the control of former state oligarchs.
- Sampson sums up this process of enrichment and the creation of a new stratum of financial oligarchs and their impact on society very succinctly.
- That proportion does not necessarily include all the oligarchs, who may in any case not be as important as the corporate bureaucracies they bestride.
- Now, a few top oligarchs can not control the system, without their lackeys.
- As we went to press, oligarchs from the old regime and the opposition were claiming to run the country.
- The claim that the oligarchs privatized companies in order to strip their assets gets the logic backwards.
- When it came to dealing with the oligarchs, the government was generally unable to exercise much control.
- If the power of the oligarchs has increased, how do you propose to deal with that, if and when you become president?
- The Kremlin apologists are trying, for their part, to present this conflict as a fight against the oligarchs and corruption.
- The conflict between the Kremlin and a section of the oligarchs is about who will exercise control over this sector.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.