In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Nautical Aviation(catering/entertainment) de a bordo
- Airlines will no longer provide steak knives for on-board food service.
- Accuracy will be improved by on-board navigation systems and the ‘smart’ terminal guidance of their munitions.
- That was more of a course correction than her on-board navigational system could handle.
- No self-respecting luxury car maker puts out a new model these days without a talking on-board navigation system, guided by GPS.
- On this occasion, despite her capable sonar system and the on-board diving team which can work to depths of up to 80 metres, the ship was unable to locate the mine.
- The four on-board gyroscopes have now experienced and measured relativistic effects for eight months.
- Gin palaces are readily available, with direct transfer to on-board heli-pads if you're feeling affluent.
- To make sure all these features are running smoothly, the vehicles even have on-board diagnostic systems.
- Military pilots manage complex on-board systems and have limited ability to watch for civilian traffic.
- Visitors will be able to sample what life was like for sailors in the 18th century with on-board displays until the ship sets sail again on June 14.
- An on-board sky marshal detained the individual and the plane landed safely.
- I have touched on the dangers that hacking into on-board flight systems on aeroplanes could do.
- Apart from numerous stowage spaces for on-board clutter there is also a second rear view mirror positioned to ensure you can keep an eye on younger charges in the rear seats.
- Hooters Air passengers have enjoyed their on-board experience so much that they want to take a piece of their flight home with them.
- This week, engineers shut down one of the three on-board gyroscopes, leaving the telescope to operate on only two.
- Sightseers will be able to watch as several of the tall ships, lit with special on-board searchlights, arrive at Albert Dock on the evening tide on August 21.
- On 8 September the craft suddenly lost its direction control and it was three minutes before the on-board gyroscopes could regain it.
- But most of the detailed measurements were taken by her on-board submersibles Mir 1 and Mir 2.
- The spin axes of the on-board gyroscopes should drift minutely if the dragging effect occurs.
- They also trigger on-board sirens or recorder warnings drawing the attention of neighboring boaters.
- Likewise, using the controller card versus the on-board IDE channels did not affect sustained transfer rates in any way.
- So why should one buy a dedicated sound card if on-board solutions provide satisfactory features?
- It ships with 32MB of on-board memory - though there's an add-in slot for more - USB connector and a pair of earphones.
- Calibration is performed via software using on-board digital potentiometers and trim D / A converters.
- This approach has the advantage of avoiding the mass and power consumption required by a high-capacity on-board computer.
- A CCD camera and on-board recorder records the image of the head-up display throughout the mission.
- Each end-user receives a token, a USB-based device and some on-board software.
- Both support Linux in firmware which boots directly at power on, along with dual on-board Ethernet controllers and remote administration.
- Customers are also able to develop their own software by downloading software to the on-board RAM.
- This controls all the on-board peripherals such as LCD driver, IR transceiver, button reader, audio transducer and vibrator.
- It also ships with on-board instant messaging software.
- In addition, the payload (a digital camera) interfaces with the on-board computer.
- We have a new system with a dual-channel, on-board SCSI controller.
- These sounds are re-assembled from memory of the on-board storage device in the listener vehicle.
- Both controllers are also available as on-board chips.
- The board includes enough on-board I / O to satisfy many common machine or automation tasks.
- However, Mariner 9 was the first craft to carry an on-board computer allowing mission control to reload new instructions.
- The Alchemy line of SoCs feature built on LCD controllers, on-board memory controllers and have been designed for low-power systems.
- Audio facilities aren't a great improvement, and the on-board sound card can do little with the speaker set.
- It's not a top-of-the-range solution, but no other motherboard manufacturer currently offers a better on-board audio sub-system.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.