In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1we are not on speaking terms — no nos hablamos
- they were on first name terms — se tuteaban
- he's on familiar terms with them — tiene confianza con ellos
- to be on good/bad terms with sb — estar en buenas/malas relaciones con algn
- we're not on the best of terms at the moment — nuestras relaciones no son muy cordiales en este momento
- on equal terms — en pie de igualdad
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.