In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(number)uno masculineone followed by six zeros — la unidad seguida de seis ceros
- the hill is one in five — la cuesta tiene un gradiente del 20%
- has anybody got five ones? — ¿alguien tiene cinco billetes de un dólar (or un peso etc.)?
2(elliptical use)he's nearly one — tiene casi un año
- it's nearly one — es casi la una
- there's enough left for one — queda bastante para una persona
- the chances are one in a million — la probabilidad es de uno en un millón
- she really is one in a million — como ella no hay dos
- I only want the one — solo quiero uno/una
1.1(stating number)ununathere's only one window/bell — solo hay una ventana/un timbre
- one hundred — cien
- one thousand, three hundred and eighty-seven — mil trescientos ochenta y siete
- one fifth of the population — la quinta parte de la población
1.2(certain, particular)one boy was tall, the other short — uno de los niños era alto, el otro era bajo
- one window looks out over the park — una de las ventanas da al parque
- one thing still puzzles me — hay algo / una cosa que sigo sin entender
2.1(single)she is the one person I trust — es la única persona en quien confío
- it is too much for any one person — es demasiado para una sola persona
- he is my one hope — él es mi única esperanza
- we have only the one car — tenemos un solo coche
2.2(same)mismomismawe drank out of the one glass/cup — bebimos del mismo vaso/de la misma taza
3(unspecified)ununayou must come over one day/evening — tienes que venir un día/una noche
- I'll get even with you one day — algún día me las pagarás
4(with names)in the name of one John Smith/Sarah Brown — a nombre de un tal John Smith/una tal Sarah Brown
5formal(unanimous)we were one in our opinion that … — éramos unánimes en la opinión de que …
1(thing)The Real Academia Española recommends the unaccented forms above in all cases this one — éste
- The Real Academia Española recommends the unaccented forms above in all cases that one — esa
- which one? — ¿cuál?
- the one on the right/left — el/la de la derecha/izquierda
- the ones on the table — los/las que están en la mesa
- the blue ones — los/las azules
- I want the big one — quiero el/la grande
- it's my last one — es el último/la última que me queda
- which scarf/coat is yours? — the blue one — ¿cuál es tu bufanda/abrigo? — la/el azul
- one of the oldest cities in Europe — una de las ciudades más antiguas de Europa
- every one of them was broken — todos estaban rotos
- he's had one too many — ha bebido de más
- have you heard the one about … ? — ¿has oído el chiste de … ?
2(person)the one on the right's my cousin — el/la de la derecha es mi primo/prima
- it could be any one of us — podría ser cualquiera de nosotros
- the Evil One — el Maligno
- the little ones — los niños
- our loved ones — nuestros seres queridos
- he's a sly one, that Jack Tibbs — es un zorro ese Jack Tibbs
- I'm not one to gossip, but … — no me gustan los chismes pero …
- she was never one to give up — no era de las que se daban por vencidas
- he's a real one for the ladies — tiene mucho éxito con las mujeres
- he's a great one for writing to the papers — es muy dado a escribir a los periódicos
- oh, you are a one! — ¡mira que eres!
1(as subject)unounaone should try to enjoy himself / (British) oneself — habría que tratar de pasarlo bien
- one should do his / (British) one's best to help — uno debería / se debería hacer lo posible por ayudar
- one simply never knows — realmente nunca se sabe / uno nunca sabe
- Was this before, or after an encounter with Mr Knight, one is compelled to ask?
- For example, proximity to one's home and community may act as a spur to some to fight harder.
- If that's how he intends to treat his new boss, one must fear for the players he has inherited.
- In other contexts sacrificing oneself for one's family would be considered good.
- It is impossible not to know what the powers are, if one bothers to read the white paper.
- So one might worry that moral transformation might involve loss of this natural good.
- On the press, Joe Ashton is scathing and one must feel sympathy for what he says.
- Such questions rest on premises that must be clarified before one can attempt answers.
- It is in the context of such fears that choosing the sex of one's children must seem tempting.
- They are paintings so characteristic that one must think them very beautiful or else not at all so.
- Some have been so bad that one imagines the umpires must have taken him to be left-handed.
- It is one thing to assert one's good intentions, but another entirely to act upon them.
- In fact, one might wonder whether the photograph in such a situation can be of any use to a researcher at all.
- The second year after planting, one can expect to harvest about 1,000 lb per acre.
- One should never underestimate the unnatural things that food companies will do to natural foods.
- The way one moves forward philosophically is by looking backwards in a fresh manner.
- Still, one does have to praise the DVD for its sound and vision.
- What is one to make, for example, of the way he is said to have behaved?
- Must one now assume that empty bins do not represent an obstruction nor a serious safety hazard?
- Secondly, the public health community generally believes that one must do no harm.
- To answer this, one must look at the heritage from which this trend has arisen.
2(as object)unounait does make one think — le da que pensar a uno
- However, branching out on your own can be a huge step to take, not to mention a risky one too.
- You can easily tell the new scenes from the old ones, even if you've never seen the films before.
- In the end, she found another apartment, at more than double the rent of her previous one.
- The standard of care to be expected of a GP who is on the obstetric list is thus different from one who is not.
- It was a decision I had to make for myself and my family, but it wasn't one that I made easily.
- Can you manage to stack things into a bag so that the most fragile items are on the bottom, and the heavy ones are on the top?
- He pauses to pour himself another glass of white wine, but not before offering me one.
- She had three rings on her right hand, all white metal, two with stones and one with a Celtic type band.
- So how do you turn that feeling as the bank statement drops on your doormat from one of dread to joy?
- This was not really an issue of black and white but one of perceived notions of right and wrong.
- These are all rather fetching names, though few of them are ones it would have occurred to me to choose.
- Police said it is not yet possible to say whether the incident was linked to the previous ones.
- As a result my time was not as quick as the one I had previously achieved this morning.
- She knew she had the face of a teenager, and always hated being referred to as one.
- Even his jokes are the same ones he was telling when he set off on the campaign trail months ago.
- I still have a jersey from 1995 but it's not that white anymore and it was time to get a new one.
- The men all had Irish accents and one was referred to Jon Jon.
- Three commercial purchasers were identified and one was ready to conclude the sale.
- This is a controversial point and one that foreign governments certainly overlook.
- All that's left now is to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and let's hope it's a white one!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.