In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(reflexive)se(after prep) sí mismo(emphatic use) uno mismoto cut oneself — cortarse
- to enjoy oneself — divertirse
- if one looks after oneself — si uno se cuida
- to talk about oneself — hablar de sí mismo
- to do sth oneself — hacer algo uno mismo
- to experience sth for oneself — experimentar algo uno mismo / personalmente
- One understands oneself often by watching what your brother does.
- I was, however, of an age when it is difficult to forgive oneself and had engaged in this vocation with a vengeance from then on.
- To learn about and understand the situation of another is to learn about and understand oneself more deeply.
- She only understands defending oneself from natural predators, like foxes.
- They take the easier way out, and when that comes to eating, it is easier to stop into a fast food restaurant than to prepare a meal oneself.
- This means finding oneself subject to an ever wider and more complex web of cultural negotiation and interaction.
- This is work that one does on oneself to turn oneself into an ethical subject.
- One argument for this view is that one is or could be aware of oneself as the subject of each and every one of one's conscious experiences.
- There is immense room for giving and taking offense when the subject is oneself.
- Subjective gender identity includes all of the ways one might understand oneself to be a man or a woman.
- In prayer, one comes to a better understanding of oneself and achieves spiritual development.
- That's what comes from subjecting oneself to confusion and some painfully obvious bias on both sides of the argument.
- One simply comes to recognise and understand oneself better, and that is a form of humility.
- They say the biggest challenge for one is to understand oneself.
- It could serve as an exhortation to fully immerse oneself in worthy subjects, to learn and allow others to learn.
- These things could be learned from friends and relatives, or from reading the right kinds of books oneself.
- The lack of reflection is usually reflected in the lack of understanding of oneself.
- Gelatin agar - is there a way to make it oneself?
- Yoko meshi evokes the stress that comes from trying to make oneself understood in a foreign language.
- Why subject oneself voluntarily to the kind of pain involved in running 21K?
- It demands a turning back to oneself in order to understand, and thus has implications and effects which are moral in that they influence how we act.
- One cannot comprehend the future unless one understands oneself and one's own people.
- The example given is that of the obligation to become a subject, to place oneself above the basic human animalism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.