In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1formal(reflexive)sesí mismouno mismoto cut oneself — cortarse
- to enjoy oneself — (have fun) divertirse
- if one looks after oneself — si uno se cuida
- to talk about oneself — hablar de sí mismo
- to do sth oneself — hacer algo uno mismo
- to experience sth for oneself — experimentar algo uno mismo / personalmente
- These things could be learned from friends and relatives, or from reading the right kinds of books oneself.
- In prayer, one comes to a better understanding of oneself and achieves spiritual development.
- Subjective gender identity includes all of the ways one might understand oneself to be a man or a woman.
- I was, however, of an age when it is difficult to forgive oneself and had engaged in this vocation with a vengeance from then on.
- To learn about and understand the situation of another is to learn about and understand oneself more deeply.
- Why subject oneself voluntarily to the kind of pain involved in running 21K?
- The lack of reflection is usually reflected in the lack of understanding of oneself.
- This is work that one does on oneself to turn oneself into an ethical subject.
- This means finding oneself subject to an ever wider and more complex web of cultural negotiation and interaction.
- The example given is that of the obligation to become a subject, to place oneself above the basic human animalism.
- One cannot comprehend the future unless one understands oneself and one's own people.
- Gelatin agar - is there a way to make it oneself?
- One argument for this view is that one is or could be aware of oneself as the subject of each and every one of one's conscious experiences.
- It demands a turning back to oneself in order to understand, and thus has implications and effects which are moral in that they influence how we act.
- It could serve as an exhortation to fully immerse oneself in worthy subjects, to learn and allow others to learn.
- She only understands defending oneself from natural predators, like foxes.
- There is immense room for giving and taking offense when the subject is oneself.
- Yoko meshi evokes the stress that comes from trying to make oneself understood in a foreign language.
- One understands oneself often by watching what your brother does.
- One simply comes to recognise and understand oneself better, and that is a form of humility.
- They say the biggest challenge for one is to understand oneself.
- That's what comes from subjecting oneself to confusion and some painfully obvious bias on both sides of the argument.
- They take the easier way out, and when that comes to eating, it is easier to stop into a fast food restaurant than to prepare a meal oneself.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.