In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1secreto a voces masculine
- The girl is still at school so it's one of those open secrets.
- It signals the inevitability of secrets being opened in small communities, and the fact that open secrets necessitate the importance of self and social presentation.
- I suppose it was an open secret that Fortune Mike had a kidney problem and that it never really cleared up.
- This state of affairs has been an open secret for some time in Turkey and is now being more or less openly admitted by the media and many well-known politicians.
- But it is also an example of the common pattern by which open secrets only get discussed by the press once a prominent person states them publicly.
- Neither party has confirmed that talks have begun on a possible offer, despite the fact that the discussions are now an open secret.
- It is an open secret that Gardai ‘on the beat’ encounter all kinds of difficulties emanating in the main from an over indulgence in alcohol.
- It is now an open secret that a senior police official in this region and the administrative head of the district are not on the same wavelength.
- In fact, it is an open secret that many African governments are dominated by small elite groups that run their countries in a secretive and authoritarian manner.
- Yet our secret government is an open secret: a condition that cannot last.
- ‘It had been an open secret in Boston political circles for years,’ reveals Bannon.
- The move lifts the lid on one of the biggest open secrets in the medical profession that often sees drinking problems among doctors being swept under the carpet.
- It is an open secret in study abroad that many Americans work there ‘under-the-table’ without a visa.
- But the open secret in politics is that attacks can work, and that no serious campaign leaves any openings unexploited.
- Royal Bank of Scotland has been touted as a potential occupier and, until recently, this was an open secret in Glasgow's property circles.
- You're saying this was an open secret for three months.
- Sexual abuse of children certainly was quite an open secret there.
- Their presence, however, is an open secret in the town.
- This is, in fact, another of those open secrets of academic publishing: a book doesn't actually need an original theory.
- But there is an open secret within the media community.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.