1a cielo abierto
- Kay said this habitat would be ‘menaced’ by the construction of a multi-lane coastal road and large-scale opencast pits.
- Plans are in the pipeline to transform the vast opencast mine near the village with one of the biggest housing projects in South Yorkshire.
- The NUM picket failed to shut down the opencast site, though the picket continued throughout most of the remaining period of the strike.
- Furthermore, most of the research and development conducted during the previous 20 years that has borne any fruit has been focused on opencast mining and metallurgy.
- At Stockton-on-Tees a landfill site has been used for disposal of pigs and sheep from Danby Wiske and Easingwold in North Yorkshire, and dumping of sheep began at a former opencast mine near Widdrington, Northumberland.
- Residents are claiming victory today after controversial plans for opencast mining near three quiet Yorkshire villages were thrown out.
- Scottish Coal employs more than 1,000 at opencast mines in Lanarkshire, Ayrshire and Fife, supplying 4.3 million tons of coal a year to the power industry.
- The two main methods of extraction are opencast mining and underground mining.
- Local miners who picketed divided their time between different Lancashire collieries and the local opencast site, as directed by the NUM.
- This is particularly relevant in the West Gower section where there are no modern mines or opencast sites.
- However, there was also an opencast coal site on the outskirts of Chorley, which was a focus for picketing.
- Namdeb conducts opencast diamond mining operations over nearly 130 kilometres of the coastal strip northwards of the Orange River.
- However, with prices rising to £50 a ton Scottish Coal, Scotland's biggest producer, has decided to open and extend opencast mines in east Ayrshire, south Lanarkshire, the Lothians and Fife.
- Earthwatch's ‘Cradle for Nature’ project was designed to develop a green way of using trees to create new soils on barren wasteland left behind after opencast mining.
- The 1990s in Britain were marked by large and dramatic public protests against a government-sponsored programme of road building, and a private sector-led expansion of opencast quarrying.
- Villagers opposed to opencast mining plans near their homes claim the proposals could encroach on local water voles, currently the UK's fastest declining mammal.
- Exploration for hydrocarbons has resulted in drilling to basement in many basins and, where coal seams occur close to the surface, opencast mining has exposed the strata.
- Mining mostly took place in opencast workings, and primitive methods involving hand sorting and sieving were used to refine the fibre.
- It will trip off the tongue of First Minister and would-be eco-hero, Jack McConnell - and it will become a new battle cry for families who fear they are being poisoned by opencast mining and landfill dumps.
- The project envisages over 400 opencast mines in an area collectively estimated to be home to around 1,500 tigers - one quarter of the entire global population.