In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He continued to write operettas and finally realised his long-standing intention, to compose an Irish operetta.
- And next year we are beginning a new departure, and that is to include operetta and musicals in every season, something I have always wanted to encourage.
- Starting with the semi-operas of the Restoration there have been several hundred reworkings of Shakespeare's plays into operas, operettas, and musicals.
- In 1878 Aleko began his studies in Russia, and at the same time started to publish his first poems, and to write plays, compose music and a short operetta.
- Opera, operetta, oratorio, and song all are represented, both in English and in the original languages.
- He produced not only popular operettas, but incidental music to plays and (according to the custom of the time) interpolations into other operas as well.
- In many cases, well-qualified songs from musicals, operettas, vaudeville, and revues, as well as variety shows, music hall, and cafe concert, were recruited for use in cabarets.
- She has performed in many operas, operettas, musicals and oratorios.
- The Pirates of Penzance is one of those enduring operettas by Gilbert and Sullivan, the subject matter of which doesn't matter a hoot.
- Apart from the brilliant success of Gilbert and Sullivan's operettas, a true native style is difficult to identify.
- The Strauss operettas on the next two-CD set are even farther from what the composer intended.
- Atonal music, the Italian opera style, the operetta and the paintings of Impressionism are also Jewish.
- This included a chapel, bedrooms, parlours, and a dining area together with a hall where operettas, plays and musicals are produced annually.
- She played it to the hilt as an over-inebriated soprano trying to sing in an operetta.
- This concert featured two singers in solos and a few duets from operettas by Austrian and Hungarian composers.
- His repertoire on discs included excerpts from operas and operettas, popular songs, and later, songs from his films.
- He wrote songs, operas, and operettas, pantomimes, melodramas, and in 1823, a History of Music.
- It seems to confirm what we always suspected - that Austrian wine, like Strauss operettas, is frivolous and irresponsible and only for swigging by the jugful.
- Meanwhile, the English-language opera tradition evolved to incorporate operettas and musical theater.
- Her early career was devoted to performing zarzuelas, the operettas of her homeland.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.