In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Magic dominated Morris Young's life from childhood, even influencing his choice of ophthalmology as a medical specialty.
- When he first went to Hull in 1936, he did general surgery in all the specialties except ophthalmology.
- So he started over, this time studying ophthalmology.
- He received his medical degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine and completed a residency in ophthalmology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
- He received many awards and prizes and was president of five medical societies of pathology and ophthalmology.
- After training in neurology and ophthalmology he settled on a career in neurophysiology.
- He is one of 10 in the world with a dual expertise in ophthalmology and paediatrics.
- As a trainee general practitioner in ophthalmology, I spent every Monday morning in the diabetes clinic.
- Thyroid eye disease should be managed under the supervision of a specialist with particular expertise and experience of thyroid eye disease, preferably in a combined clinic for thyroidology and ophthalmology.
- Bristol Eye Hospital has consistently been at the forefront of innovation in ophthalmology and cataract surgery in particular.
- He entered St Mary's Hospital Medical School in 1933 and while there won prize exams in surgery, ophthalmology, and obstetrics and gynaecology.
- I regularly hold joint clinics with colleagues from overlapping specialties, such as genetics, neurology, ophthalmology, etc.
- Carmeda is conducting research in key sectors such as ophthalmology, orthopedics, and neurology.
- Most of the work will be in orthopaedics and ophthalmology - specialties with the longest waiting lists.
- Between 1960 and 1966, he was first an instructor, then assistant professor of ophthalmology at Harvard Medical School.
- After further study, he also took a clinical assistant post in ophthalmology at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh.
- The policy aims to use overseas doctors to tackle long waiting times, focusing particularly on ophthalmology and orthopaedics.
- After school at Westminster and medical training at Guy's Hospital, Peter specialised in ophthalmology, proceeding to an MD in London with research into myopia in 1960.
- The trust is also touting for more business in areas such as orthopaedics and ophthalmology.
- Having qualified with a postgraduate degree in ophthalmology and after a spell as senior registrar in northern India, I moved back home to Bangalore in southern India.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.