In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(of a regime, policy) opositor masculine(of a regime, policy) opositora feminine(in debate) adversario masculine(in debate) adversaria feminine(in debate) oponente masculineopponents of the government's defense policy — quienes se oponen a / los opositores de la política de defensa del gobierno
- There is an important lesson to be learned from this game, not only for my opponent but for me too.
- In both contests Webb stopped his opponents in the first round with an awesome display of punching.
- You fight and battle to the end, no matter who the opponent is, because you are honouring the game.
- These clues apparently help him to work out how to beat each and every opponent.
- An ardent opponent of war, he made a packet from investing in military supplies.
- The most famous opponent of the New Deal was Huey Long, a Senator from Louisiana.
- Most importantly he was a vigorous opponent of giving the Bank of England independence.
- This amendment was not opposed by Waters at the trial, and was not opposed by any other opponent.
- He always tried to beat his opponents before the fight had even started through intimidation.
- He did drop the opening frame to an opponent who had beaten him at the Welsh Open back in January.
- Like the wrestler who takes time from beating his opponent to show off to the crowd, it was a sign of confidence.
- When a fighter steps into the ring, his aim is to hurt his opponent more than his opponent hurts him.
- The first game after the enforced break was a tough encounter against formidable opponents.
- If successful, the bidders win the whole game; if not their opponents win the game.
- My only objective was not to give my opponent any easy chances to come back into the game.
- He may consider himself to be an opponent of the war, but here too a point must be made.
- Love and rural life are prominent themes, and he was a consistent opponent of Modernism.
- Ballybrown were the opponents in the final and with the wind behind us we led at halftime.
- Our target is to win the tournament by dominating all opponents in every facet of the game.
- You only have to look at the reaction of your opponents when they do beat you, and how elated they are.
- What I want is fierce competition in the squad, as well as against our opponents.
- Even though their opponents scored a seven on the 14th, the game was never in doubt.
- He has been lauded as a solitary champion of liberty and censured as the absurd opponent of progress.
- It is more accurate to say he was an opponent of the regime.
- Hayden was a prominent opponent of the Vietnam War.
- People can play the game on the internet with opponents from across the world.
- Then they allowed their opponents back into the game to snatch victory with two late goals.
- He was an eloquent opponent of the exercise of arbitrary power by governments the world over.
- We have played against big teams and great players and have beaten strong opponents.
- So he has positioned himself as an opponent of free expression and online fun.
- He was a lifelong opponent of militarism and oppression, and he became a committed socialist.
2Sport Gamescontrincante femininerival feminineoponente feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.