In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1oportunidad feminineocasión feminineto seize the opportunity — aprovechar la oportunidad / ocasión
- she never misses an opportunity — nunca deja pasar una oportunidad / ocasión
- thank you for giving me this opportunity — gracias por darme esta oportunidad
- at the earliest / first opportunity — cuanto antes
- opportunity to + inf/of-ing — oportunidad de + inf
- I had no opportunity to put my point of view — no tuve oportunidad de exponer mi punto de vista
- we took the opportunity of looking around the city — aprovechamos (la oportunidad) para recorrer la ciudad
- this gives me an opportunity to catch up on / of catching up on my reading — esto me da la oportunidad de ponerme al día con la lectura
- opportunity for sth/-ing
- the job offers excellent opportunities for promotion — el trabajo ofrece excelentes posibilidades de ascenso
- this left us little opportunity for sightseeing — esto nos dejó poco tiempo para hacer turismo
- job opportunities — oportunidades de trabajo
- an equal opportunities policy — una política de igualdad de oportunidades
- when opportunity knocks — cuando se presenta la oportunidad
- It proposes opening up opportunities for private organisations to run their own schools.
- The cluster team will focus on new opportunities for the development of new timber products.
- The manager intends there to be many more opportunities for the team to develop.
- Languages with fewer borrowed words obviously tend to have fewer opportunities for puns.
- I think he should be given the opportunity of looking at these before I make an order.
- To do that would simply deprive many people of the opportunity of a better environment.
- We believe it will also increase opportunities for musicians and other artists to perform.
- It is an activity which contains very few opportunities for genuine excitement.
- These close approaches are superb opportunities for everyone to observe the red planet.
- Parents cannot afford to miss out on good investment opportunities for their children.
- There will be demonstrations and opportunities for young people to actually try things.
- The time scale involved may make it not possible to afford an opportunity to comment.
- We believe that there are big opportunities for customers to use these services.
- There will be plenty of opportunities for family swimming in the new swimming and training pools.
- It was an opportunity of a lifetime and I was really pleased to have the chance to meet him.
- Despite opportunities for both sides, the second half did not produce any more goals.
- There are huge opportunities for local companies and businesses to become more involved.
- He will also be responsible for exploring new opportunities for the operation.
- There are also opportunities for people to get involved in a more hands-on manner.
- Besides this, there will be more opportunities for direct sourcing of plants overseas.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.