In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He uses stealthy means to savagely oppress the common people.
- It argues that the modern world fosters institutions and ideas that exploit and oppress people and degrade and destroy the environment.
- Who protests that people aren't oppressed enough?
- It's also true that they have been oppressing their own people and conducting a campaign of abuse against women that justifies international intervention.
- There should be a natural affinity between them and other oppressed people of India.
- He can only hope such action is measured, effective and does not add to the misery of some of the world's poorest and most oppressed people.
- So we're going to fight for you against the people who are oppressing you.
- Robin, isn't it a fact that oppressed people, when seeing freedom, will react in many ways we might not consider normal?
- As a country's economy grows, more men gain the material strength to exploit and oppress women.
- He declares support for the oppressed but hasn't grasped that the people he supports are oppressing people in their own countries and are now attacking the very democracy that he lives in.
- The fact of the matter is these ‘freedom fighters’ are oppressing their own people.
- It's about a brutal dictator who's oppressing his own people.
- A group of youngsters demonstrated with great vigour, what it meant to stand up against the power of a foreign power that continued to oppress the people of India.
- So when I rail against the corporate capitalist system that oppresses workers, I'm speaking from my own experience.
- And we are going to stand up for people around the world, oppressed people, who want us to stand up for them.
- He is a vicious dictator, brutally oppressing his own people.
- He has oppressed our people and caused great hardship for too long.
- He was a threat to his neighbors, and he oppressed his own people, and the world is better with him gone.
- He speaks as the political representative of an imperialist nation which has brutally oppressed the people of the region for over a century.
- Pompeo agreed, and realized she needed to tell her story and let people know ‘what it's like to struggle on assistance, and how the government is oppressing people.’
- Animal spirits could be low, broken, oppressed, dejected, petulant, harassed or even ruffled beyond description.
- I've gotten over being oppressed by it though and will carry on.
- On the way, London's ancient, massive buildings, black statues and dirt surround me, oppress and burden me.
2(weigh down)(heat/humidity) agobiar(foreboding/anxiety) oprimir(anxiety/foreboding) agobiar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.