In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1optarto opt for sth — optar por algo
- she opted for the second plan — optó por / se decidió por el segundo plan
- to opt to + inf — optar por + inf
- he opted to pay the fine — optó por pagar la multa
- to opt against sth
- they opted against buying a house — optaron por / decidieron no comprar casa
- Couples who opt to live more simply can still live on a single income, he suggested.
- The judge opts to decide later on what to do about the infuriating kid.
- It will also give him another option if the selectors decide to opt for the extra bowler.
- Police gave her the choice of a fine or going to court and Berthelsen opted for a trial.
- The idea that they opted for such a lifestyle out of choice is both heartless and fanciful.
- Parents opting for single-sex schools take other factors into account, though.
- Instead of laser vision correction he opted to have a lens placed behind the pupils of his eyes.
- Fewer students than ever are opting to study maths at a higher level.
- It also means exercising regularly and opting for active living choices rather than the lazy ones.
- There remain some issues to resolve and a few players are still opting to continue their boycott.
- The City of Toronto opts to provide streetcar service to its new boroughs itself under the Toronto Civic Railways name.
- Nonetheless, he should be financially secure for life when he opts to cash in his shares, though he says he is having too much fun at the moment to think about doing so.
- Always opt for four individual shots if possible so that you can choose the best of the four.
- On her latest, Stone opts for original material, with mixed results.
- Fortunately this doesn't happen and much to my relief, Sky decides to leave the dreadlocked wig and opts for the blonde one.
- But on that subject is it really anyone's business if a friend opts not to send you a bill for a job done?
- With so many choices at her fingertips, she has opted for delicate, minute alterations.
- Faced with the prospect of crippling student debts, many are opting to skip university and get on the career ladder.
- That may not seem like a big drop, especially if Treasury opts for the high end of the range.
- Ann opted for a piece of caramelised apple tart and my choice was carrot cake.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.