- operating room
1.1(indicating alternative)o(with negative) nido you want the red coat or the black one? — ¿quieres el abrigo rojo o el negro?
- would you like milk or sugar? — ¿quieres leche o azúcar?
- that's not clever or funny — eso no tiene ni ingenio ni gracia
- We are just interested in your honest opinions - there are no right or wrong answers.
- The café is a great place for locals to meet up for a chat over a cup of tea or coffee.
- Research in New York showed men with cats or dogs had lower blood pressure.
- In cities and towns most people wear Western clothing - pants or blue jeans and shirts.
- We don't mind if we have a boy or a girl, we just want a healthy, happy baby.
- She never learned to read or write.
- School administrators should work to ensure that the majority of students can walk or bike to school.
1.2either … or … → either
1.3(in approximations)onine or ten — nueve o diez
1.4(showing alternative designation)oan environmentalist, or green, policy — una política ecologista o verde
- Joshua was born weighing just 18 ounces - half a kilo or just over a pound.
- By early Tuesday he was dead - a victim of the most deadly of the world's culinary delicacies, the blowfish or fugu.
- Spain entered the twentieth century having lost its colonies in the New World and the Pacific in the Spanish-American War or, as it is known in Spain, the War of 1898.
2.1(otherwise)odo as I say, or else! — ¡haz lo que digo o vas a ver!
- give it to me! — or (what)? — ¡dámelo! — ¿y si no, qué?
- I'd better tell him myself or I'll get in even more trouble.
- We do have to leave now or we won't be back until after sunset.
- Do as you're told Beth or you'll get hurt.
- Hurry up, or you'll be late for class.
2.2(adding afterthought)oso John and I … or am I boring you? — así que John y yo … ¿(o) te estoy aburriendo?
- Emily, unaware of the mental battle that was going on in his mind (or was she?), kept on walking towards him.
- It was just an accident or was it?
The usual translation of or, o, becomes u when it precedes a word beginning with o or ho.