In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1oráculo masculineto consult the oracle — consultar el oráculo
- Her priests and oracles are all being kept in the tower.
- The first day saw the swearing-in of athletes, trainers and judges, after which athletes would make sacrifices to the gods and, if they wished, seek advice from oracles.
- Here, finally, we come to the heart of the difference between the oracles of the pagan Greeks of the classical period and the revelations of the prophets of the People of the Book.
- Then I got interested in the history of oracles, how they actually worked in Ancient Greece and in different cultures.
- The Oedipus story's, I think, the grimmest of all oracle stories and it's the one where the freedom of the person consulting the oracle seems at its lowest degree.
- He had no other choice now but to consult the oracles.
- As Plutarch, who wrote a treatise on it early in the second century AD, was priest of a Delphi that was still busy with private and ritual enquiries, it is clear that the real subject was the oracle's loss of authority in political affairs.
- Instead of the physicist, they consult an oracle.
- This is not to say that I rely solely on the oracle's advice.
- The oracle was consulted by Achilles, Heracles and other mythological heroes.
- In the trial of Socrates, as described by Plato, the oracle at Delphi proclaimed that there is no one wiser than Socrates.
- Poseidon and Athena were vying for control of Athens, and having consulted an oracle he advised that every Athenian should vote for their preference.
- But I think more important than the oracle at Delphi is Socrates' conviction that there is an inner prophetic voice speaking to him.
- The oracle's prophesy declares that Athens will one day conquer Thebes.
- Legend holds that he was the son of Apollo, the Hellenic god of music and learning, and his birth was foretold by the oracle at Delphi.
- It was through clever interpretation of these signs that these oracles and prophets were able to frequently predict future events.
- Another time Rutilianus consulted the oracle on the choice of a wife.
- Convinced, the Chorus of women advises that the oracle of Apollo is the only person who can help Orestes.
- However, I consulted the oracles and stars, and I am certain that you are the one I need.
- The oracle told that the cure would come to Telephos by means of rust from the sword of the very Achilles who had wounded him.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.