In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)masculine decreto ley
- Because the Government had asked for a special Order in Council, to enable him to give orders to civil servants.
- He was eventually cleared of all suspicions of treason and freed by an Order in Council.
- The 1976 Order in Council, already referred to, gives effect to a treaty concluded between the United Kingdom and the United States in June 1972.
- During the Committee stage there was a great deal of discussion about the Mackenzie Basin and the 1969 Order in Council.
- The concept of an ‘extradition crime’ is to be construed according to the terms of the Order in Council as it had effect at the date of coming into force of the 1989 Act.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.