In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Infidelity to one's vows is sinful; infidelity to the grace and character of sacred ordination to the priesthood is sinful; sexual abuse in whatever form is sinful.
- Whether at ordination a man expected to be a priest for thirty-seven years or forty-eight years, ordination was ordination.
- Lutherans had agreed to the Episcopal practice of ordination by a bishop.
- The Protestant Church of North India is now training women for ordination, despite initial resistance.
- All churches have structures of ministry that they identify, in various ways, as arising from baptism and conferred through ordination and other forms of blessing and appointment.
- When I mentioned this to my wife Regina she said, ‘It should teach you that ordination isn't for you; it's for the church.’
- One is ordained and two are considering ordination.
- With other controversial issues such as slavery and women's ordination, laity and clergy could find Bible verses to help Spirit-led changes.
- Attending to political perceptions and consequences, while not unimportant, is nowhere to be found in the rite of episcopal ordination.
- Encouraged by his mother and her great friend, John Donne, he accepted ordination as a deacon.
- As for Harrigan, no fair reader could claim that the article did not delve into contentious issues such as liturgical reform, women's ordination, clerical sexual abuse, and racism.
- One of the things I most look forward to, if the Lord wills, is attending my son Jeremy's ordination to the ministry.
- Redwoods Presbytery voted 90-37 to approve Morrison's ordination and installation as a field director for More Light Presbyterians.
- The more we think about ordination in the context of baptism, the greater the leveling effect.
- Behr-Sigel recognizes that Orthodox women are not permitted to preach within the liturgy itself, and that the possibility of ordination to the presbyterate seems a dim prospect.
- The church retains the right to deny ordination to people on many grounds: age, marital history, financial history, criminal history, psychiatric history, and so on.
- I refer specifically to the Eastern tradition of requiring men to be married before they are ordained and prohibiting marriage after ordination.
- Ministry does not begin at ordination, but at baptism.
- The nature of each is spelled out in baptism and ordination.
- Among Anglicans, responsibility for the good order of the Church is placed in the hands of bishops by custom, rites of ordination, and canon law.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.