In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(first)(version/plan) original(plan/version) originariothe original inhabitants — los primeros habitantes
- from an original idea by ... — basado en una idea de ...
- The use of the original languages with English sub-titles was a brilliant and compelling device.
- Away from the grand pedigree of the original building, the design of the hotel's new tower echoes the shapes and colours of the old one well.
- The original design provided for the restoration of existing courtrooms.
- The original building was designed for only half the number of children on the school's current roll.
- The whole hotel is a combination of original features and modern design.
- The final design will maintain these original features.
- In North America alone, there are many aboriginal cultures that no longer know a word of their original languages.
- The leather seating in the sunken area is original to the house.
- The original path was a series of stepping stones laid in the lawn, which I was able to reuse.
- Only one of the lions, on the eastern arch, is original.
- In fact, the city currently has no way of policing contractors to ensure they do follow their original designs.
- The old houses that were left as they were in that same area are being put back to their original style in the process.
- He reads the press in the original language and blogs it for English speakers.
- At Wapping we were able to see the twin tunnels which were the original Brunel designed ones.
- She says poor maintenance by the Town Council has destroyed the original design.
- The new development has been designed to fit in with the design of the original stone houses.
- Langholm Terrace is designed around the original lodge and stables of Buccleugh House, once owned by the Duke of Montague.
- I'm looking forward to the Gehry building, though, even though it's been watered down a bit from its original design.
- Saved at a young age, he learned Greek so that he could read the New Testament in its original language.
- The original curves are not affected, and this process preserves the original shape.
- The original language of Algeria was Berber, which has varied dialects throughout the country.
2.1(not copied)(design/work/research) originaldon't send original documents — no envíe originales
- He gave me about 20 minutes to respond to an emailed copy of the original article.
- Two original ways of presenting the dial motif have been designed: either plain or set with diamonds.
- It keeps to a high standard of interior design with exciting and original items.
- I don't need or require beautiful and original web page design and execution to this end, either.
- The gallery showcases some original European and American paintings dating back to the Baroque era of the 17th century.
- By Goya's time the most interesting and original artists were no longer interested in this particular kind of symbolism or any kind of allegory.
- He was a much sought-after consultant, both for his original ideas and his unrivalled contacts in sport.
- Also, single word titles are often not unique, and I like inventing original things.
- Beginning January 20, the Museum will display 14 original oil paintings by Kathy Jakobsen in the Community Gallery.
- New or original material is sorely lacking, and any non-mainstream artist is ignored.
- Her goal is also to create playful, original art that cannot be commodified.
- He is quite an original thinker and really did invent the idea of Mozart as a brat so convincingly that now most people think it's fact.
- The Labatt People in Action program funds original summer projects designed by students that aid a charity.
- On one side of it you have writers building on common archetypes to create original works, and to enrich the genre.
- People came in on spec, just because they'd heard there was a local band who were actually playing original material.
- Modern classical is a term used as a prop by people who can't create an original melody!
- He created original sounds from his cymbals and skins using sticks, brushes, and even his hands.
- The contest is open to all original bands and musicians - whatever the musical style.
- There comes a time in your life when you want to replace the posters in your home by original art.
- Like everything else at The Big Idea it is completely original and unique to the centre.
- The married man will probably run out of original gift ideas sooner or later.
- There is still a market for good original art but with a caution flag on the price point unless it is by a well-known artist.
- Also playing a major role in the production is Graham Porter, who has designed an original score to be used during production.
- His second album released with Sony showed his talent as a serious music writer of original works.
- Beth has used photo montage, acrylics, oils and pastels to create truly original works.
- She was a serious artist, a painter of extraordinary and disturbing vision, a talented dancer and also a witty and original writer.
- But do have a stab at Ulysses, if only to see how linguistically inventive and original Joyce was.
- Foremost, he was an original thinker with ideas, and with an ability to formulate new questions in new ways.
- Who needs to make creative decisions about original ideas when you can mould an endless stream of desperate kids into carbon copies of what went before?
- We have more stuff available but at the same time we have actually less original material being produced.
- Television is no better for those of us hungry for imaginative fare, and the dearth of original screenplays makes this writer's blood run cold.
- Those are just ideas, each less original than the one before (I lined them up that way).
- And that Starbucks itself may help break new artists and develop original material.
- Daniel Smith is unquestionably one of the most exciting, original musicians to emerge on to the British blues scene in recent years.
- The multimedia production also included an original score by artist-musician Rodney Graham and rock duo Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth.
- The best way to get this look is to start knitting yourself and create a one-off, original piece, that's just your colour.
- Fortunately his family made some copies of the original manuscript and so we can see now what he really wrote.
- He also wants to recruit an artistic director and freelance choreographers to create more original works for the company.
- Either way, Fred Flare is a great place to find original gifts for everyone imaginable.
- Freud certainly had many original ideas; but even the most inventive minds are indebted to their predecessors.
- Erofeyev is an absurdly original writer of the utmost importance.
1Art original masculinemasculine originalthe remake isn't as good as the original — la nueva versión no es tan buena como la original
- in the original — en versión original
- the songs on the album are all originals — los temas del álbum son todos nuevos
2(unusual person)she's an original! — ¡es de lo más original!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.