In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The non profit-making society aims to advance the education of the public in the knowledge, understanding and appreciation of ornithology, birds and bird study and promote protection of wild birds.
- The role that field guides (together with their essential companion, binoculars) have played in ornithology is difficult to overstate.
- Twomey was one of the young men turned on to ornithology by a distinguished pioneer naturalist, Frank L. Farley, author of Birds of the Battle River Region of Central Alberta.
- The offspring of a long line of doctors, Mayr chose instead to concentrate his considerable intellectual abilities in the field of zoology, with a special interest in ornithology.
- His early interest in entomology was extended to ornithology after his arrival in the colony, and he sent many specimens back to England.
- Its objectives are the advancement of ornithology and the promotion of the scientific study of birds among ornithologists in Europe.
- The German author is widely recognized for his work in ornithology.
- After getting a master's in ornithology from Cornell University, she came to the Museum in 1956.
- Priscilla had just begun studying ornithology, and she quickly applied to her university for funds to cover airfare and expenses for a trip to Rodrigues.
- He travelled extensively after he retired, pursuing his interests in wildlife and wild places, and, in particular, ornithology.
- What do you consider your most important contribution to ornithology?
- This fresh autobiographical study in amateur ornithology may be one of the first birding romance novels!
- Early works covering Norfolk ornithology make fascinating reading.
- With a keen interest in ornithology as well as chemistry; he worked as a volunteer at the RSPB reserve at Minsmere.
- His broad biological knowledge extended far beyond ornithology, and his scientific competence and expertise rewarded him with an international reputation.
- The Auk, their quarterly journal of ornithology, contains the results of original scientific research and book reviews and is one of the foremost in the field.
- Hence, we should not only urge our students to think about the broader implications of their studies in ornithology, but to acquire as deep a training in avian biology as possible.
- He produced two classics of Old World ornithology, first The Birds of Burma in 1940, followed by The Birds of Borneo in 1960.
- The ability to establish a technique for age estimation in wild birds will provide far-reaching benefits to aviculture, ornithology, and science in general.
- This account of the history of ornithology begins with a survey of writings on birds by the ancient Chinese, Greeks and Romans.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.