- It will also facilitate speech and language therapy, community welfare, orthoptics, psychology, home support services, home meals services and day care services for older people.
- Situated in a busy teaching hospital, the Academic Unit of Ophthalmology and Orthoptics provides facilities for both clinical and laboratory based research.
- A course in orthoptics takes three years of study.
- Orthoptics, which literally means "straightening of the eyes", dates back to the 1850s and is limited in scope to eye-muscle training and the cosmetic straightening of eyes.
- Orthoptists are concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of ocular motility and problems relating to vision.