In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The ostensible reason is that he does not wish to relinquish his seat in the European parliament.
- For all his ostensible desire to tell the truth, when it comes to the hardest points, McNamara proves slippery.
- Later, the company risked its stance of ostensible objectivity by joining the preacher and his family for a picnic supper at a farm north of the city.
- A biography of Elvire O'Connor, the ostensible writer of this piece, is included in the program and is a tiny work of art in its own right.
- Its ostensible purpose was to usher in yet another Five Year Plan, this time on law and order.
- There is a remarkable piece of dialogue on just this subject in Dr Faustus, although the ostensible topic is music.
- The ostensible purpose of these escapades was to tag the animal's ear, for identification and conservation.
- The ostensible goal of this little group was to combat the great colossus of Americana - Mickey Mouse.
- While the ostensible motivation will be to improve the security of the Internet, the real objective will be to increase corporate profitability.
- The safety team's ostensible goal was, if possible, to manage the project to a safe and successful conclusion.
- On top of that, the government's plan doesn't even achieve its ostensible goal of solvency!
- Where an employee has no actual authority, either express or implied, to perform the act in question he may still have apparent or ostensible authority.
- It is, after all, made up of ostensible competitors who are allied for the common good.
- The ostensible ease with which he makes such jumps unsettles even loyal supporters.
- The show confirmed that he is an unabashed landscape painter, regardless of his ostensible subject matter.
- The ostensible cause of the conflict was a trivial argument between a public transportation driver and a passenger of different faiths.
- The ostensible reason behind this attempt is to protect pets and wildlife from these so called cruel traps.
- There is simply no money in the till to fund rickety new programs that will quickly outgrow their ostensible resource base.
- As is so often the case with this Prime Minister, he was talking as much about himself as he was about his ostensible subject.
- Given that the country does not appear to have been invaded by a foreign power, what is the ostensible cause of this nationwide panic?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.