In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Darwin had already cited the mink and the otter as transitional in conversion of land carnivores to aquatic habits.
- The weasel family includes such colourful characters as otters, wolverines, skunks, minks and badgers.
- Other animals spotted in Greater Manchester include otters, stoats and weasels.
- We were fortunate too that on our arrival a family of otters had decided to make the stretch of river running by the Mills their new home.
- The body of the mother otter was sent for post-mortem examination to try to establish how old the cubs might be.
- They are carnivores like the stoat, weasel, otter and badger.
- Next to this is an entire room filled with more exotic animals, including a monkey and baby, a pronghorn antelope and an otter.
- Their latest data show that 38 percent of the live sea otter population and over half of the dead otters analyzed have been exposed to the parasite.
- While it deals mainly with seals it has also rescued dolphins, porpoises, otters, deer, numerous birds and even a Siberian tiger.
- They do, however, both belong to the same Mustelidae family which also encompasses badgers, skunks and otters, and that's close enough for us.
- Although demand is no longer as high, raccoon pelts may still be sold as imitation mink, otter, or seal fur.
- As members of the marten family, giant otters are susceptible to both diseases.
- Bald eagles, snowy egrets, great blue herons, otters, muskrat, and deer inhabit the banks of the Pocomoke River.
- It also walks on the soles of its feet like a bear, but the resemblance ends there, as the badger is actually from the same family as otters and weasels.
- Sometimes falling prey, on land, to wolves and coyotes, the otter's principal enemies are humans.
- The session begins with a mammal expert explaining more about water voles, otters and mink.
- Fishermen have kept records of catches over the years and many naturalists and field sports people recorded sightings of mammals like the otter.
- Most common are bears, orcas, sea lions, seals, otters, eagles, terns and cormorants.
- A little higher off the forest floor, they can tick red squirrels, badgers, otters and foxes off their nature checklist, and if they are lucky, spot herds of red deer bounding over the hillside.
- After last year's triumph, you are cordially invited to bring your otters, voles, badgers and weasels for a day's work experience.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.