In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(singular) nuestro(singular) nuestra(plural) nuestros(plural) nuestrasour son — nuestro hijo
- our daughter — nuestra hija
- our sons — nuestros hijos
- our daughters — nuestras hijas
- our children — nuestros hijos
- Do we men really notice when our partners spend two hours with a hair dryer and brush?
- Maybe it was because your fleet was too high and mighty to respond to our previous hails.
- The dog had been grown over the last eight years and we brought it from our previous address.
- We have our work cut out, but taking over from anyone who dies in office is never easy.
- We're going to have our work cut out for us, but they are definitely the team to beat.
- There is no mention of anything like this in our travel advice and it is not common.
- We get assigned to this inferior work track because we are identifiable by our sex.
- On our side we went down to the Royal Society with a group of people from the lab.
- The only thing that moved was our hair and clothes in the wind, and my falling tears.
- We all laughed at this one but our laughter was cut short as Margaret made her entrance.
- It was at this point that we decided to cut our losses and have a meal in York to savour the atmosphere.
- It puts him up much higher than he is accustomed to being, and as a bonus it allows him to play with our hair.
- It is not like we have got to do it because if we don't our budget is going to be cut.
- The cases to which we have referred in our view make quite plain the proper approach.
- We chose a known donor so that our child could know the identity of his biological father.
- At the beginning of each month we have to formally contact him by phone for our salary.
- Even with our visit cut a little short, we still came back with over five hundred photos!
- We had deliberately cut our hole at the edge of the pond to make it easier to get in and out.
- We accept that we should have noted these references in our list of words mentioned.
- There was also the bathroom and a small sitting room that used to belong to our mama.
The translation nuestro agrees in number and gender with the noun which it modifies; our is translated by nuestro, nuestra, nuestros, nuestras, depending on what follows: our father/mother nuestro padre/nuestra madre; our books/magazines nuestros libros/nuestras revistas. For our used with parts of the body,
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.