In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(singular) nuestro(singular) nuestra(plural) nuestros(plural) nuestrasall this is ours — todo esto es nuestro
- ours is blue — el nuestro/la nuestra es azul
- a friend of ours — un amigo nuestro
- a favorite of ours — uno de nuestros favoritos
- Garden gnomes represent all that is both great and grotesque about this fair country of ours.
- This hard earth of ours doesn't care if it's a sea or a desert, a river or a dune.
- The honour of being humiliated at an excruciatingly early stage is not yet ours.
- Why don't these people concentrate on improving their own areas and leave ours alone?
- It doesn't even seem to understand the terms of its own existence any more, never mind ours.
- Effectively the delay enables banks to accrue interest which is effectively ours.
- Introduce fairness into this society of ours and remember that charity begins at home.
- Two years ago, we went to his parents' villa in Spain with some friends of ours for the first time.
- I think when he saw the film for the first time he was looking at his own life as well as ours.
- We need to hear from all of you who feel that this town of ours is worth the effort.
- They were searching for the origins of their creation, just as we search for ours.
- I look on with annoyance as I see parks pop up everywhere while ours are taken away.
- This land was promised to us and we will stop at nothing to defend that which is ours.
- We continued the tradition and passed the house on to a writer friend of ours.
- Our freedom to use what is ours is being taken away from us unless we dance to their tune and pay up.
- It costs a lot to carry the few people who fly in a country as underpopulated as ours.
- What scares me is comparing their middle order with ours which is inexperienced.
- In contrast to every previous encounter of ours, I sober up as we catch up into the early hours.
- We put ours out for collection and, guess what, it was still there when I got home from work.
- Small hospitals are very useful and certainly ours is essential to the local community.
The translation nuestro reflects the gender and number of the noun it is standing for; ours is translated by el nuestro, la nuestra, los nuestros, las nuestras, depending on what is being referred to.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.